September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 2nd 2014 - Vision

The short answer - I'm doing what I should be doing for my vision problem...the long answer...So my eye doctor appointment got off to a shaky start - went to the address on the website which turned out NOT to be the clinic - sigh. Ended up OK though because I'd gotten downtown early.
What a production getting through registration! This was the ophthalmology dept of NW and very busy. I finally got into the correct waiting room, and then finally got taken to an examining room. The assistant did some basic stuff - checking how well I see using an eye chart, and my eye pressure etc.
Then I FINALLY got to see the doctor - Volpe. He asked me basic questions, and looked at the report from Dr. Margolis - a developmental optometrist. Even though the word developmental makes you think of kids, they also treat adults.I was glad that he took the report seriously. I had also sent him an e-mail earlier in the week to introduce myself. I wanted to be as prepped as I could for this appointment.
In addition to checking how well my eyes focus, he was looking for eye health - if I had any eye disease, and how well my eyes work together. He used prisms, lights, a magnifying glass and a few other things. It was difficult - especially the bright lights - but I was determined to do the whole thing. 
He pronounced my eyes "individually" healthy. This didn't surprise me. My diagnosis is called Binocular Convergence Insufficiency. Big name. Binocular refers to two eyes, convergence to working together, and insufficiency to the fact that mine don't do the working together part as well as they're supposed to.
We learned on Sat. when Leena and Cara saw Dr. Margolis for their regular eye exam that both of them have a degree of convergence insufficiency - Leena more than Cara. Leena's will easily be treated with short term therapy. I wonder now if I had this problem to the degree that Cara has it - not enough to have previously caused me trouble. 
Then 2 1/2 years ago I got severe vertigo. As a result of the vertigo, and because getting the right help took a long time, my convergence "wiring" – which I now know may not have been perfect to begin with – got really messed up. As I've told doctors many times, I didn't have this problem before, and no, I didn't get a bang on the head. The first time I saw Dr. Margolis was in some ways a really good experience because I finally was talking to someone to whom my problem made sense. The pieces were coming together.
Vision, as I've learned, is really complicated. Vision is a key part of your vestibular system, and your sensory system. Everything needs to work together. The way to fix the problem is through therapy - doing visual exercises that make my system work correctly. But it has to be gradual, because there's only so much info my brain can absorb at once.
My situation is also somewhat complicated because of my migraine condition which affects how stimulation has an effect on me. In addition to the fact that my system is sensitive, this is the reason that my therapy is taking a long time. The therapy itself is not high tech, but the point of it is to make my system work the way it's supposed to or rather function the way it should.
I used to only use voice recognition on the computer - now I do some keyboarding - which is a visual exercise. I can also do some writing now. Most people probably don't even think about all the ways in which they use their eyes - all the info that gets processed constantly.
I still listen to audio books, and I still don't drive. Those are two things on my bucket list, and every day, every week I move a bit closer. I've learned a tremendous amount from going through - and continuing to go through - this whole experience. That doesn't mean I'm happy that it happened to me, but I get that I have a problem that I have to keep working through. I'm grateful that I have found such good people to work with, and I try every day to focus on keeping on working through it so I can keep on making progress rather than focusing on my limitations.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.