September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 24th 2014 - Getting a Haircut

I've written about going to special events, but I decided to share today about something we all do - get our hair cut. This is one of those ordinary events that now presents some challenges. I've been going to the same place, The Right Bank Hair Salon, for many years, though the location has changed due to development in the downtown of Deerfield. I've had my hair cut by the same person, Larry, also for many years. I'm pretty sure he's still one of the owners. He's a really good guy. The Right Bank is very low key, and not crazy expensive like some places. It's not a huge place, which is nice. They now share space with a nail business (All Polished Up), which I was initially concerned about, but it hasn't been a problem for me.
The first issue I noticed was that they have ceiling fans. I cannot deal with the motion of fans, and Larry accommodates me and turns them off while I'm there. I used to ask him to turn off the music, but I no longer do that. I try not to ask for accommodations unless I really need to - sometimes this gets complicated, but that's an issue for another blog. I'm improved enough now to handle some music in the background. His station is not, thankfully, right next to the source of the music. I also make sure to go in the morning since mornings are better for me, and to pick mornings that are not super busy. A lot of people means more activity and more conversations in the background, so low traffic mornings are good.
Fortunately for me, his station is not by the window, so I don't see any car movement in my peripheral vision. So I've never had to have a conversation about that. I have once or twice had to have someone else cut my hair if he was unexpectedly gone, and had to deal with the window. That's how I figured out that no window is better. The first thing Larry does is lock his chair. I don't want to have to worry about unexpected movement, or spinning (even slowly) and this just means he has to walk around me. I also never get a shampoo there. I've never liked that, and I especially don't want to deal with tipping my head back, etc. now. I sometimes find myself watching him doing the actual cutting, but I try to look at other things. Focusing my eyes on the actual cutting isn't something I want to put my visual energy towards. I trust Larry, and he always has me run a comb through my hair, check how it feels, and asks if the bangs are a good length. Sometimes he'll have me stand up and stand behind the chair. Whenever he asks me to move my head, he'll say something like "as much as you can," which I really appreciate. He doesn't completely understand my situation, but he understands I have a problem, and doesn't want my haircut to be stressful.
When it comes time to pay, I stand behind the counter, near where he sits. I've always done this and it just feels better. I give him a signed check which he completes, and then he shows me what he's written. Most of the time Ron transports me, so he's usually waiting in a chair for me, or about to pick me up. Occasionally I take a taxi. I'm grateful for the Deerfield Village coupons I'm eligible for, because it makes taking a taxi for local stuff very inexpensive. The fact that Larry is a caring person, and genuinely doesn't seem to mind making a few accommodations without a fuss is wonderful. Getting my hair cut has gotten a little bit easier, partly because I handle it better, and partly because I've learned what elements are difficult and how to deal with them. I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb for me in general, because I don't think a haircut, beyond the fact that it's an outing, needs to be a major challenge. I want to feel less shaggy, and a bit more put together, when I leave.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.