September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 12th 2016 Reminders of what was "supposed to" be....

To listen: copy and paste into Google Translate, click on "speaker" icon.

I've started a list of what I'll need to bring to the hotel.  Of course I'll figure it out, because I simply have no choice, but I'm struck by the fact that I'm really not very mobile these days.  I'm going to go to the hotel with Cara so I'll have been in the space once before going there to stay.  It won't be the same as staying there, but at least will give me a taste.

I began sorting through some things that have piled up over the last few years.  Due to my disorders, I'm not nearly as organized as I used to be.  I came across a binder which goes back to when I sang occasionally with a group of friends.  Another one from when I sang with our congregational choir.  I also came across various stuff from when I taught flute.  Finally, I saw a folder that goes back to a band I used to play in.  When I first developed hand troubles, I asked the band director if he wanted me to return it.  He emphatically said "no" (thinking I'd be back soon), and then he left and a new director came along.  I never spoke to the new one, and so there's the folder.  Somehow, I just can't bear to ask if they want it back.

After this sorting, which was difficult not just emotionally, but visually and balance-wise, I went up stairs and responded to my daughters' query about an outing of hers the next day.  I said the TV was distracting me from being able to think, and left the room to attend to my dinner, and then when I returned I told her how I felt.  While in the kitchen, I had decided that sometimes it's OK to respond not just as a mom, but as a person who has health problems that impact my life.  So I was honest with her.  I told her about my sorting, and how hard having a social life is because of my disorders.  It also happened to be when Ron was out for the evening, and I was missing a congregation event because I'd been out in the morning.  I can't do two outings in one day!

I managed to talk to my daughters without tears - despite the honesty of my words, I didn't want to burden them with my emotions.  So, I went into the bathroom - I'm often struck by the times I end up there - and my emotions came over me in waves.  I asked myself how to turn this into something positive, and then I thought "I can't, sometimes I just can't."  People wonder about my positive attitude, and mostly it comes from music, and connections with others.  But sometimes, sometimes I just can't see the positive.  All I can see, all I can feel is the pain.  The pain of what was supposed to be happening in my life.  "Supposed to" can be a dangerous phrase - along with the word "should."  But the glaring reality is that it hurts like hell sometimes to get reminders of what I thought I'd be doing.  No, I haven't given up the ghost on teaching flute.  But it's a long journey with a lot of unknowns. 

I decided the other day that I'd set up our electronic piano/keyboard and "doodle" on it just as I do on my flute.  I don't know how to read piano music, but that really doesn't matter.  But that doesn't take away the pain.  It doesn't take away the loneliness of how difficult a social life is with my disorders.  So I let the sadness soak through me.  Sometimes that's really all I can do.  It's the only way to be able to get up and take another step.  To let myself feel those moments when taking another step feels really, really hard.  I tell myself I'll get through this.  I also know two basic truths:

1) The reality is that I have invisible disorders that have changed my life, and I have to live with that reality.

2) If I want to see more than subtle change, I have to take a pretty long view. 

I have to recognize that as hard as this is, maybe I couldn't have done it a year ago.  Give myself credit for pushing through this.  I had to box up my sewing machine, and sewing supplies.  Sewing is way too difficult for me visually.  I don't know what I'm gonna unpack once the basement is done, and I'm not going to think about that right now.  I'll allow the pain when it's there, and get through this one piece at a time.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

6 Responses to June 12th 2016 Reminders of what was "supposed to" be....

  1. So very sorry to see all you have to go through at this time but you are a very brave woman to have learned to face this illness. Best wishes to you and yours from another person with these problems but I am older than you and feel so sorry when I see the younger people have to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Kathy!

      Delete
    2. Tamar, your blogs are always an inspiration to me and I have learned from you. For one thing, I've learned that I am not alone in this. In my case, instead of vision impairment, along with my bilateral balance impairment, I have bilateral hearing loss. It happened suddenly in two vertigo episodes 3 years apart. I, too, find myself mourning the loss of independence and enjoyment of social gatherings. I, too, must limit myself to one "event" a day. I've blogged about it but am discouraged that it seems to me that family and friends have not read or tried to understand.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing... impairment of any of our senses is so hard... so glad my blogs help you - thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. yes Tamar I totally agree life was not supposed to be like this There were a lot more years of enjoying my child free years. I try to concentrate on what I can do not on what I used to do but it is hard

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.