September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 19th 2016 More about how our project is challenging me...

To listen: copy and paste into Google Translate, click on "speaker" icon.

What an outpouring of response there was from VEDA (www.vestibular.org) readers when my cognitive processing, mental energy piece was posted!  I try to respond to comments, both on my blog site and VEDA.  However, with everything going on in my life, and the number of responses, I thought I'd say "thank you" here, and follow up with this.

So yes, thank you! To everyone who read and commented, thank you.  Also a big thank you to everyone who shared my piece - sharing helps to raise awareness, so that's really important.  At first I was astounded at the numbers - not thinking "wow, my writing's amazing!" - but rather that this issue is SUCH a big deal for people with these kinds of invisible disorders.  It was also very validating; clearly this is a HUGE issue for everyone - I am definitely NOT alone.   Then I realized it makes sense.  I think the whole cognitive/mental energy thing is one of the hardest, if not the hardest part for me to explain. 

I'm aware of this right now, trying to explain to my daughters why dealing with this basement project takes a lot of my energy.  Going anywhere new is challenging, and being in my own home is like being someplace new right now!  Let me give some examples of this.  I had to take a phone call from the Village of Deerfield about the permit we need.  I don't talk on the phone a great deal, for a variety of reasons, and this was after Ron and I had made a trip to the Village.  But my first thought when the phone rang was  "where's the phone?".  My computer station is still set up, but the rest of the basement is strange - there's a huge mound covered in white plastic just a few feet away.  I found the phone, but it literally made me feel off balance.

I also stood in the space behind our basement stairs.  It's been years since I did that, and intellectually it made sense that I could walk back there, but it threw me.  Our basement stairs are covered in clear plastic now, and it's very shiny.  It also sounds different walking on them.  I know no one likes disruption, and it can be stressful, etc., but this is different.  I feel less grounded, and it's tiring.  There's so much problem solving, figuring out, and spatial stuff - it's a huge challenge.

I had a chance to go to the hotel with my daughters.  Very helpful to see the space, look in the kitchen, etc. - think about what I'll need to bring from home, what will be different.  Cooking with electric rather than gas, computer set up on a kitchen table, the girls looking around figuring out where our pets' stuff will go, and I mentioned where we'd walk Cosmo while we're at the hotel.  We also saw where the laundry room is located.  All of this may sound inconsequential, but all the planning, and wondering what routines we'll be able to figure out takes a great deal of mental energy.  I was TIRED when I got home - so much new info!

So yes, it's really hard, and yes, we have to support each other because no matter how much friends and family care and want to help, this is a unique problem.  Not one ANY of us asked for.  It's not our fault - I remind myself of that when I make a demand on a family member that I don't want to have to make.  We can get through it.  As lousy as it can be, we can still live.  I'm being put way out of my comfort zone with everything that's going on - even down to the fact that I'll need to practice using my ipad - VERY visually challenging - (with help from one of my daughters) to be online because my computer will be packed, then set up, then packed, and set up again! 

So how am I talking myself through all of this?  Reminding myself that though my first reaction often is to feel off balance and/or anxious, my brain/vestibular system can adjust.  It takes effort, but I can do it.  Step back, breathe and figure it out.  Talk to people who understand.  Listen to music - this is really important for my sanity.  Do some normal things while at the hotel - like cooking.  Mix in some normal things even before I'm at the hotel.  And when it's all done, I'll say, wow, I actually made it through!

For anyone who doesn't know, and wants to know more about my story (and my rehab), please take a look at my About Me on my site - http://visiblepersoninvisibleproblem.blogspot.com/p/about.html - there are also specific links to articles re vision, my Feldenkrais Therapy, and if anyone wants to check out my YT channel (all recordings done prior to my illness - haven't done any new ones yet :-) ).


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.