September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 17th 2015 A good doctor visit; doctors and patients can work together

NOTE: Please use Google Translate to copy and paste to listen if needed.

I've written about negative medical experiences, so I wanted to share a positive experience I had.  I found a really good dermatologist - Dr. Johnson - and was really pleased both with my new patient consultation for a routine skin check, and a follow-up to have small moles removed. 

Dr. J. shook my hand firmly, and we spoke briefly during the skin check, and I told her that I had a balance problem.  She didn't ask a lot of questions, but made sure that I was as comfortable as possible while examining me.  She was extremely diligent in her examination, and said that just to be on the safe side - since my mother has a history of skin cancer - she wanted to remove a couple of small moles (they turned out to be normal).  She explained what would happen, said there was no rush, and that was it.

I decided rather than waiting, I would go ahead and get them removed, so I scheduled an appointment.  When Dr. J. came into the room on the appointed day, after shaking my hand, she remembered that I had mentioned a balance problem.  We talked about what position - lying down in some way or sitting up - would work best for me.  In a situation that has some inherent stress involved - I knew it was a minor procedure but still not what I'd call enjoyable - I didn't want to challenge myself. 

I said I would prefer not to lie down, and she told me where to sit, and which wall to face so that she'd still have good lighting.  Obviously, I still wanted her to be able to do her job well.  I asked for a stool because I knew that having my legs/feet dangling would make me feel ungrounded, which I don't like.  She asked her assistant to bring in a stool, which was placed under my feet.  I also asked her to shut the vertical blinds.  I knew that looking at the blinds would bother me; they move, and in this case, I could see traffic and people through the window.  I didn't want to challenge myself visually, and she immediately closed the blinds.

Dr. J. thought to ask me if I wanted the part of the examination bed where a person's head goes to be raised up, so that one end of the bed was at ang angle.  I thought about it, and said yes, that it might be helpful.  I didn't lean my whole body against it, but resting my arm on it at times felt good - it meant I could change positions a bit, and having part of the bed higher made me feel more grounded. 

Dr. J. asked me if I wanted to know what she was going to do before she did it, and I said I did.  She did, in fact, do a really good job of telling me what would happen, and this made it easier on me because there were no major surprises.

The whole procedure took less time than I was expecting, which was nice, and then Dr. J. and her assistant did a good job of explaining the after care.  I repeated much of what they said to make sure I understood, and they patiently answered my questions.  They also gave me the instructions in written form, but having the verbal explanation was much easier for me.

I left the office relieved that for once, a medical visit had actually been very manageable, thanks in large part to a doctor who took some extra time.  It wasn't really a huge amount of time - though I know doctors are on the clock these days - but it was enough to make a difference for me.  Dr. J. was considerate and compassionate, but still managed to be efficient and skillful, and for that I was grateful.

Vestibular disorders - www.vestibular.org
Functional vision disorders - www.covd.org (College of Vision Development)


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to September 17th 2015 A good doctor visit; doctors and patients can work together

  1. I have also had a couple of good experiences with doctors after explaining that I have Meniere's. My dentist had no experience with someone having a dizzy attack in his chair. I explained that I knew what was happening and after that he moved the chair very slowly so that I didn't get dizzy again. Also need a pillow when lying down to do physical therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you spoke up, and were heard - thanks for sharing!

      Delete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.