September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 15th 2015 Technology, and the power of the internet

NOTE: please use Google Translate to copy and paste to listen if needed.

I saw a quote once to the effect that technology makes life easier for many, but for those with disabilities, it makes things possible.  This is so true.  During Balance Awareness Week, I find myself thinking of the many, many invisible challenges people face - technology is about much more than electronic wheelchairs.

I can use my computer thanks to Dragon Naturally Speaking which allows me to control my mouse with my voice, and compose with my voice if I'm not up to using my hands.  I can listen to text by copying and pasting it into Google Translate and then clicking on the microphone icon.  I use this SO much - not just for news items, but for e-mail as well.  I use Illinois Talking Books (offered in other states as well) and Choice Magazine Listening to listen to all kinds of audio material.  I use my public library as well.  All of this is due to technology.

A lot of people diss over-use of smartphones, and talk about people being so plugged in that they miss live personal interactions.  There's no question that social media has its' downside.  Like a lot of things, it can be, and is misused by people.  People use social media - whether it be Twitter, Facebook, etc. - to post mean, horrible things both about others, and so that the victim sees it directly.  I don't for a minute condone ANY of that.  But that doesn't take away from the good, sometimes even wonderful things that can come of social media as well. 

I'm all for people getting out and having face-to-face interactions, but some people with invisible disorders are limited in terms of what they can do, and where they can go.  I think it's a bit more challenging to build friendships via private messaging; to have the same kind of depth as in person, but over time relationships can be built.  And of course, there can be the occasional phone call.  Friendships tend to go through changes anyway, as people go through changes. The obvious plus to connecting to people online is exactly that - connecting to people.  Whether it's rebuilding ties from childhood or teenagehood, or discovering new friends, either way it's good. 

Easy access to info can be really helpful, as long as you get it from a reliable source.  I heard of a wonderful book about Depression called Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig (available through Amazon).  I heard of another book called The Brains Way of Healing by Norman Doidge.  And I've learned so much about my disorders from good info that people share online. These are only a few examples.... there's tons of good info (NOT just bad info) that reaches people quickly and easily.  I'm able to keep up to some degree on world news since I don't read newspapers or magazines.  And of course, I'm able to share my story through my blog site, and through the wonderful organization VEDA.  That's pretty powerful, and ALL positive!



Vestibular Disorders Assoc. - www.vestibular.org
College of Vision Development - www.covd.org

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.