September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 17th 2014 Persistence, finding what works

"I want to know what's wrong with me."
"I want to feel better."
"I want to have a life again." 
Many people can relate to all three of these statements.  I see these, or variations of them, posted a lot on online vestibular support groups.  There are serious medical problems for which people end up fighting for their lives. Clearly, that's a big deal.  There are also lots of things that can be wrong with you but are manageable and don't really interfere with daily life.  I've had reactive hypoglycemia for over 30 years.  But properly managed, my RH doesn't make me feel bad most of the time.  Being dizzy, a symptom that most vestibular disorders cause, is different.  When I first got sick, it wasn't  just unpleasant, it was really scary.  I also felt really physically  sick.  Thankfully the scary times, the times when I'm dizzy, (which is worse I think than disequilibrium; feeling off balance), are brief and far less frequent now.  Feeling better to me means improving, which I am now doing.  But I know that dizziness keeps people from doing stuff, even very basic stuff.  It can seriously mess up your life. 

When I first got sick, I sometimes heard friends say "don't give up!"  I would now also say "don't give up on yourself."  When you are miserable and scared, it's very hard to keep going, keep trying to get answers.  It can get horribly frustrating, depressing, and just plain exhausting.  I now truly understand the meaning of the word persistence.  Until I got sick three years ago, never in my life had I gone to so many doctors!  And yet I wasn't getting answers.  I had to tell myself "OK, I'll go to this doctor," "I'll do this test," "I'll have this exam," "I'll go through this if it means I'll get some answers." To say that going through all this was difficult is an understatement, but I did it.  Finding the right doctor, to get an accurate diagnosis is so incredibly important. And I think it's what you have to do until you get answers. Sometimes you have to figure out what ISN'T the answer, in order to find out what IS the answer.  Finding out what's wrong doesn't instantly solve problems, but it's SO much better than asking over and over and over again "what's WRONG with me?".  I talk at more length about my journey to my diagnoses in other posts (see for example "Medically Significant"). 

Finding the right treatment, what works for you, is also really important.  In the early months of my illness, I was doing Vestibular Rehab Therapy - VRT - with a Physical Therapist (PT).  I presume that some people improve doing VRT with PTs, but I did not.  I went to my PT regularly.  I wanted the VRT to work.  PTs can do some basic testing, for example for BPPV, but are not, in my opinion, qualified to make more complicated diagnoses.   I did not have all my diagnoses yet, and I think a lot of PTs are very used to doing VRT as a standard therapy for vertigo.  She also kept telling me my BPPV was gone, even though I had a hunch later confirmed by a neurologist, that it wasn't.  Most importantly, I was not seeing any improvement in my life from doing the VRT.  VRT is not the only option available.  I stopped working with the PT when I got connected up with Joyce, an Occupational Therapist whose specialty is Feldenkrais therapy, which is brain re-training.   

My vision therapy is supervised by a developmental optometrist.  A developmental optometrist does eye exams to check for physical eye health, which means they do standard eye exams like dilation, and checking your eye pressure.  They also check that your eyes are functioning properly in a variety of ways.   Both of my daughters have been checked by our developmental optometrist, Dr. Margolis.  If there is a problem, some form of vision therapy is often recommended.  For grownups, like Feldenkrais, this is also a brain re-training issue.  I don't completely understand the complex system of vision, or how the therapy works, and I don't try.  I leave that job to my doctor and therapist.  I do try to answer my daughters' questions when they arise, and sometimes I tell them "I don't know."

Finding the right people to work with is important, but then the work to improve begins.  I wrote about being understood, and this is important not just for family members who live with me, but also those who work with me.  Improving, for me at least, is a work in progress.  I speak regularly with my psychologist, which is very helpful.  I'm always communicating with my therapists, Ann and Joyce.  I need to communicate well, describe things  to each of them.  I think having invisible disorders that affect my life means that people I work with need to have some info about my daily existence, because they are working with me as a whole person, not just my disorders.

Looking back, given how sick I was, I know I did the best I could to get what I needed.  I didn't give up on my search for answers, both for my diagnoses and for treatment with the right skilled, caring professionals.  I hope that no one gives up on their journey to find answers, to get what they need because it's so important.  I remember during a visit with my ENT, Dr. Ziffra, he told me in answer to one of my many questions (note: not verbatim): 

"That's beyond my area of expertise.  The whole balance system is very complicated.  It involves the ears, eyes and a part of the brain.  It's not uncommon for an elderly person to have a problem with balance, so I strongly recommend that you get to the bottom of this now." 

I think it's wonderful when a doctor says "that's beyond my area of expertise," because they are admitting they don't know.  When a doctor says this, I think you can trust them when they tell you what they DO know.  As frustrated as I was, I took his words to heart, and his words were one more little piece that helped me keep going until I got answers.  So now I'm passing these words on... keep searching until you really have the answers you need, and feel like you will be able, little bit by little bit, to improve.


NOTE - It would be great if other people who have had success with treatments other than VRT could share - Thanks....

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.