September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 27th 2014 - On the Topic of School Shootings

When I saw the headline "Breaking News: School Shooting," I thought "oh no, not again, not another one." I haven't seen any stories explaining how the student was in possession of a gun, or how he was able to bring it to school. I find myself wondering how difficult, or not, it really is for a student anywhere to bring a gun to school. That worries me. I'm also troubled by the thought that I don't think this will be the last shooting. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do.
I can hear people saying but what about "the right to bear arms," but I feel like that comes from a very different world. As Leena mentioned her Junior year of high school, when it was discussed in her Social Studies class, the weaponry available now is pretty astounding. Even if that wasn't the issue with this particular tragedy, guns in the hands of anyone who isn't trained to use a gun (I'm thinking, for example, of the military and police officers) scares me. And I'm not getting into the issue of the accidents that happen, because this wasn't an accident. School shootings are never accidents. I told Ron I was more concerned about guns in school than Ebola, which I think we have a miniscule chance of contracting. So what I wonder in the end is what will it take, how many kids will die before there are changes?
I want to make it clear - whatever pushed the student to do what he did, including then killing himself is horrible. Everyone says people kill people, not guns...but horribly troubled people get access to guns...

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.