September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 23rd, July 13th and 28th 2013 - Thoughts on Music and Body Movement

Sunday, June 23 – when I played my flute yesterday morning and this morning I was thinking a lot of mindfulness.  About breathing and movement not just about tone.  Tone is really important but I think that sound isn't just dependent on fingers and mouth – it's also about breathing and your whole body.  Truly good musicians move a lot and I don't think it's just because they are feeling the emotion of the music even though that's certainly part of it it's also because they are using their entire body to make music. 
Saturday, July 13 – I've been thinking a lot about breathing and how to sit.  I wonder how many people think about whether or not they're sitting on their sitting bones when they sit.  So now when I play my flute I am truly being mindful of breathing and sitting as well is how it feels when I stand.  I watched the video that Elizabeth posted on Facebook recently of a flutist and and listened to the sound but I also watched his body and I was struck by the fact that he swayed a bit and then dislikes but his upper body didn't move very much in particular his arms and I thought that was kind of odd – I think everything needs to move when you make music. 
Sunday, July 28 – it's been a while since I posted so I thought I would put this out there.  One more thought about musicians – my friend Ruth commented that sometimes with small hands it's difficult play the piano, but I was thinking that I've even seen little kids on YouTube who do an amazing job so I think no matter what packaging you have if you learn to work with it you can make it work. 

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.