September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 29th 2014 - Attitude Matters

I've got a lot of stuff going through my head. I'm still mulling over the idea of a support group. The online support group I just got added to has it pluses and minuses, like anything. I can use the computer way more than before, but I'm still limited. And call me old-fashioned, but I think there's something to be said for being WITH people. But I got to thinking about what I can and can't do. The tricky thing about special needs is that you - I - want to be able to do stuff, but the reality is that I need accommodations sometimes. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. 
I know I'm thinking about this because next month - Sept 21st to be exact - is the three year anniversary (not the right word for it in my opinion) of when I got sick. It's still a reminder to me of how life can change dramatically with no warning. I think we never think something will happen to us. It'll only happen to someone else. That's an emotional approach, not a rational one. I feel like I really need to figure out how to live in the present. Not where I used to be, and not wherever I'm going. I can try to plan, but I can't foresee the future. None of us really has the kind of control we want. We just do what we can. So I need to really do it - like Jason Mraz sings "Living in the Moment." 
I can either remain angry about what happened to me, or I can let that go and try to just live. Do my rehab, take that as far as I can, and in the meantime, live. Take what joy I can out of life. Putting it that way, the choice really seems pretty obvious. Not that I can't be angry about what's difficult, angry that I'm no longer healthy, but eventually I kind of say "OK, so where's this getting me?" Better to put the energy into making as much progress as I can, and just living. So I'll allow myself the anger and frustration in the moment, and then let it go and move on. I guess anyone with a chronic health condition, disorder, whatever you want to call it, needs to try to have that attitude. And try to find ways to still contribute to our own little corners of the world.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.