September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 3, 2019 More info, keep learning, keep going


More research -

I looked up northshore University health system (my network) otolaryngology -

Vestibular ENT doctors focus on Ménière's disease.  For a doctor who deals with vestibular disorders other than Ménière's, you have to see a neurologist.

For more info re vestibular disorders, also take a look at the vestibular disorders Association site - www.vestibular.org

Neuro/Otology (head & neck) basically focuses on surgery.

Audiology - hearing - this is where there's info re acoustic reflexes.  Cheri has talked about ipsilateral (same side) and contralateral (opposite side) acoustic reflexes.  She told me that my ears are working together.

It's all connected -

The vestibular (balance) and cochlear (hearing) nerves connect to send messages to the brain. 

The vestibular ocular reflex – this is a neural connection between eyes and the vestibular system in the inner ear, for image stabilization. 

Vision is NOT just about 20/20 - that refers only to acuity, which is how well each eye can focus on an object 20 feet away. There's much more to vision than acuity! Complicated stuff!



My diagnosis -

I was diagnosed with convergence insufficiency by Dr. Margolis, my developmental optometrist, and vision is what gets addressed prior to auditory issues. I know I already work in VT re all kinds of sensory integration.

For more info re vision, & doctors who treat functional disorders - not just disease - check the college of optometric vision development - www.covd.org

Keep learning, keep going -

Seeing an ENT about hearing loss would, I think, make sense prior to getting any additional tests done.  However, my hearing loss is mild, and I suspect that the tinnitus I sometimes experience, as well as the fullness are not what most doctors would consider medically significant. 

Before doing any additional testing or doctoring, I need to talk to Dr. Margolis. 

Also, continue reflex work with Joyce (Feldenkrais) to help calm down sound/sensory input.

To quote Dr. Margolis re my sensitivity, "a little bit can have a big impact." I may not feel like I'm doing much in the moment, when I do a few seconds of something, but every little bit adds up.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.