September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 2, 2019 problem-solving allows for clarity





When you have a complicated health history - as I do - figuring out which pieces make sense can be tricky.  I took the opportunity to try to untangle things a bit, and gain some clarity in my CBT session today with Christina.  It was helpful and I thought I would share some of it –

1) Christina pointed out that the brain MRI I had one month after my illness was normal, & that I didn't have - nor do I have - cognitive impairment.

2) Cheri is very good at what she does - auditory integration training, Dr. Margolis recommended her - but she's not a doctor, which means she's not in a position to make a diagnosis.  Christina recommended that I talk to Dr. M., share what Cheri has talked about with me, & see what his thoughts are on my doing AIT.

Since I'm not scheduled to see Dr. M for another month, I emailed him to see if I can talk to him on the phone before that.  In my email, I explained that I had spoken with Cheri, done her online assessment, & wanted to talk about it with him.

3) Christina & I agreed that seeing an ENT who understands vestibular issues (as opposed to a surgeon, like the ENT I actually saw after my hearing test), to talk about the results of my hearing test, would make sense.  

4) I don't know for sure if the neurologist I'm scheduled to see in September will think a sleep study is warranted. My sleep IS much better than it used to be, & likely a major factor in why I've been doing better with all my therapies.

5) Cheri wants to be thorough, which is good, but my Anxiety is getting triggered because she's pointing out all kinds of "what ifs?".  I need to keep in mind type 1 worry (actual problem) vs type 2 (possible).

The reality is that I'll never be able to know for sure what happened to me the night I got sick.  It may indeed make sense for me to do some auditory integration training, & taking a break from VT when I do that, would make sense.

6) I don't have VT this week (Thurs. is July 4th), so when I see Ann on the 11th (by which time hopefully I'll have spoken with Dr. M.), I'll talk to her about what schedule makes sense for me. 

7) I also need to find out when I can get acoustic testing for both ipsilateral and contralateral (ear) reflexes.  I will ask about this when I called to schedule the ENT appointment. 

Ipsilateral is the reflex that works when that same side is stimulated, and contralateral is the reflex that works when the opposite side receives the stimulation.  By Feldenkrais practitioner, Joyce, said that she is going to see what she can find out that might help me.

And now it's time for another list -
- opening my text, and calling the taxi driver this morning to confirm that he was on his way

- calling the anxiety treatment center to let them know I was running a few minutes late, but was on my way

- recognizing when PTSD anxiety flares up, reminding myself that the goal is for it to diminish over time, not completely disappear

- walking my dog by myself is actually now an enjoyable activity

- I look around much more when I'm out walking

- it's useful to recognize a problem, but it's also useful to acknowledge what's good - no one, including myself, gets extra credit for focusing on the negative

- I'm trying to listen to, share music that makes me smile, & listen to audio books that help me learn, or feel good

- writing this post!

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.