September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 28, 2019 reviewing my situation


One of my favorite pictures of Molly :-) (photo taken by my daughter Leena)

VeDA - I've reached out to the vestibular disorders Association - VeDA - & will be doing peer to peer support calls when they have a need. I'm also hoping to make some calls in preparation for balance awareness week in September, on behalf of VeDA, to remind people that BAW is coming - so folks can start thinking about how they want to pitch in that week.

Writing - I've also reached out to hopefully find a writing coach or partner... I want to improve my writing, & ultimately get published beyond my blog... getting feedback about my writing, as well as tips on ways to get better will help - it's been a long time since I was writing many, many papers for college as an English Literature major :-) - as well as for Art History, Psychology - yup, LOTS of writing!

Owning - Interwoven throughout this thinking is this - in September, it will have been eight years since I got sick, & I realized that owning, even embracing my health situation is healthy. My therapies are all extremely helpful, & I DO see their impact outside of my sessions, but there is a certain bubble like quality to therapy. The environment is geared towards the people it serves, which is good, even appropriate.

Vision - I figured out recently that if visually I'm at my threshold, it impacts my auditory system, which given how interconnected these systems are neurologically is not surprising. The good news is that if I can take a break, I can recover, so I can once again do auditory & cognitive processing.

Social life - I've also given a lot of thought to my social life, which has changed dramatically. I've reached out recently, to try to have more phone connections - I am, thankfully, able to handle talking more on the phone now. I honestly need to have connections with people who understand my circumstances. This doesn't mean we'd always talk about our health, but it does mean knowing the person on the other end of the conversation gets it.

Pacing - Pacing myself is, to a degree, a matter of prioritizing, meaning that I may choose to write, which means less video. If I have more e-mail to attend do, I don't write for myself. If I want to watch some of a DVD, I watch less YouTube video. Some days are easier to manage than others, & that's my reality.

Independence - Thinking about my reality, I realized that I've always thought being more independent would mean doing more "out there" – meaning not at home. There are three pieces I come back to when I think about the concept of mixing higher functioning at home with more activities beyond my home. 

1) put simply, I am not going to go back to how I was pre-illness. I honestly believe I'm better off if I recognize this.

2) being independent actually can be about how it is for me at home - how do I feel when I'm home?  Moving through my day depressed is clearly not healthy, so what do I do? how do I occupy myself? what's my attitude towards my circumstance? I say again, I didn't ask to get sick, but I did. Fighting this reality is unhealthy, accepting it allows me freedom.

3) I've asked this question before, but it's worth repeating - what could I do if I wasn't expending energy/effort in three weekly therapies?  Acknowledging my own physical, neurological, emotional, and cognitive limits is important.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.