September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 17, 2019 - Come Autumn, what if??


I can handle managing our household now, which is a major achievement.  Based on what I've learned about my invisible disorders -  both experientially and in Feldenkrais, vision, and cognitive behavioral therapy - I need to think about how I use, focus my effort.

I wrote a piece "test-driving" - doing (Sept. 25, 2018) in which I said that therapy is a means to an end, not an end in itself. 

So the question for me is this -

My stamina is much better than it used to be, but what if I wasn't using energy every week on all 3 therapies? What if I transition to maintenance - as opposed to weekly - treatment?

I know I want to continue my various creative outlets - they're important to me. I'll continue to do other activities, such as listening to audio books, movies, etc.

What about working on a more ambitious writing project, maybe working with someone on this? I don't know. What bite-size "out there" thing might I try?  I don't know.

I chose many things in my life, but getting sick wasn't one of them.  When I put on my self-compassion hat, I say to myself "no one is living in your body but you, & ultimately you have to make choices that feel right for you."

I'd say "talk with Ann & Dr. Margolis. Same goes for Joyce. Talk with Christina about what you want to try, depending on what the game plan with Feldenkrais and vision therapy looks like".

Lastly, I say to me "do the best you can - what your life is, isn't what you'd imagined, so let yourself feel frustrated, angry & sad when you need to... & do the best you can".

My life could be much worse - I'm keenly aware of that, & I want to get as much out of my life as I can. About that question of what I'd do instead, well, after I've talked it through with my medical team, maybe it's time  - this Fall - to find out.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.