September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 23rd 2016 Feel the loss, figure things out... keep moving...

Ron asked me not long ago if I missed grocery shopping and I said that there were definitely things I miss, but that that activity wasn't one of them.  Ron started doing the grocery shopping (and other errands) when I developed hand problems, so he's been doing it for a few years now.  I have a list on my computer, which I tweak each week, and he's gotten to know the two stores where we buy our groceries.  Going to stores isn't something I do much; between the various noises, the lights, and a combo of visual factors, it takes a lot out of me. 


Fast forward to me - very recently - sitting in our car in the parking lot (in the passenger seat - I don't drive) while he ran in to buy something I'd forgotten to put on the list.  I was with him because we were returning from an appointment of mine.  I hadn't been in the parking lot of the grocery store for a long time.  As I sat there watching people, I remembered his comment, and it suddenly struck me that what I missed wasn't the activity itself, but rather the ability to do it. 


I had told Ron, when he asked me about shopping, that I try really hard not to think about what I can't do anymore.  But there are moments when the emotions hit me, like this moment of realization.  I reminded myself that everybody I saw probably had their own story, but I couldn't help thinking how they appeared to move so easily, going about their business.  And I miss that. 



Later that same day, I had a brief e-mail exchange with Joyce (FT) about my latest flute frustrations, and she had some helpful ideas.  Sometimes when I'm problem solving with my daughters, I tell them to break things down, and keep things simple, and I need to take my own counsel.   The message behind the ideas Joyce had was to break things down - not in a bad "having a break-down" way, but rather going back to my "figure it out" concept.  Joyce pointed out to me that back when I taught flute, I would try to simplify everything to make it as easy as possible for my student to learn.  That's what I need to do for myself. 


Fast forward again to my session with Ann (VT) during which I discussed my frustrations with getting back to reading sheet music.  Issues I put together after my recent reading of sheet music, because I can't figure things out without trying things out.  Ann added on to Joyce's ideas; we talked more about breaking things down, and how to work some things through. 


In many ways, I'm learning to read again.  There is reintegration (and in some cases, integration for the first time) that needs to happen re the info I take in with my eyes, and the processing/perception in my brain.  The same is true for me for other tasks, such as flute playing.  I have to take in info on the printed page (sheet music), and relay it first to my brain, and then to my fingers, while I maintain my sense of where I am in space.  Integration is key:  if you don't integrate sensory input, or spend too much energy on one part of the sensory input, you have problems.


So I put these moments together - thinking about Joyce's reply to break things down and simplify everything, as well as Ann's input, and then my emotions sitting in our car in the parking lot.  I realized yet again how important it is to do both; as I continue my journey, to let myself feel, and then break things down as much as is necessary, in order to be able to integrate or reintegrate.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to January 23rd 2016 Feel the loss, figure things out... keep moving...

  1. I too have stopped going into stores and my husband does the grocery shopping. When I need to buy something, I go online to get it. I still drive, but not at night and not often. So many things i can't do anymore that I really miss, but the best someone can do in this situation is adapt as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. His email: {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com} you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.
      1) Love Spells
      2) Lost Love Spells
      3) Divorce Spells
      4) Marriage Spells
      5) Binding Spells
      6) Breakup Spells
      7) Death spell
      8.) You want to be promoted in your office
      9) want to satisfy your lover
      10) Lottery
      Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
      through {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com}

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing... I agree about adapting as needed, tho sometimes you have to just stop doing something... and I'm still trying to push forward with my rehab... sounds like you have a positive attitude, despite missing things...

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.