September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 29th, 2019 Facing PTSD Anxiety's very hard




My mom asked a basic Q - why is my vision therapy taking so long?  I decided my answer was worth sharing, so here it is -

MAV - My vestibular migraine complicates my situation - Dr. Margolis was upfront about that right from the beginning. 

Sensitivity - I think I rate pretty high on the sensitivity scale - this has, for example, been an issue for me re using prism glasses (fairly commonly used)... I've thus far not been able to do more than a short bit in VT of a low level prism, but this is certainly better than nothing, & something that does get re-visited periodically.

Neurological rehab is never easy, even without Anxiety.

I don't want ANYONE to think the work of facing Anxiety's easy - words are just words, & don't always adequately show the picture - the sign that I did for this piece is kind of how I feel about anxiety. The word "words" is the automatic thoughts that bombard me when my PTSD Anxiety's triggered.

PTSD Anxiety - it took a  long time for me to figure out about, & be able to face dealing with my Anxiety - I say it with a capital "A" because it's not "garden variety, everybody gets this" anxiety. This is "I need meds, & the help of a professional to deal with this" Anxiety, & it's fucking hard work!  The meds make it possible, but it's STILL really, really hard.

Avoidance  - avoidance was a thing.  I still fight avoidance.   I don't like how I feel when my Anxiety's triggered, & Christina has pointed out that it's important not to flood myself - the goal is success, which comes gradually, over time.  My psychiatrist, Dr. Mirsky, always says to me that I'm dealing with my Anxiety -  the hard way (I think he means gradual exposure, etc.), because that's the way that works.

My Anxiety doesn't even want me to claim the progress I've made - it really messes with my mind - but I AM making progress, now that I AM dealing with my PTSD Anxiety.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.