September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 14th, 2018 iPhone 6s review from a disabilities perspective




I've been using my iPhone 6s for about 2 weeks, & thought I'd give a review, as a user with vestibular and vision disorders. I'll get the not-so-good out of the way first -

1) it's still a screen - & a very small one - so I definitely have to limit my time.  This isn't surprising, but still frustrating. Due to screen size & animation/touch screen features, I'm not using my iPhone for e-mail or FB  - that's still my desktop.

2) voice over feature - found by, & demonstrated to me by Ron - good idea (intended to read what's on the screen), but needs work - annoying, unhelpful - not using it.

3) Siri - apparently a lot of people have some complaints about this feature, so I'm not alone.  when Siri works, it's wonderful, but very annoying and frustrating when she doesn't - sometimes she's pretty dumb (I know, I know - it's software, not a person LOL).
So, definitely using Siri, but I feel mixed about her. Ron just told me about the command "Hey Siri, speak screen" - which seems to work better for reading texts to me - here's hoping.

4) voice recognition - I'm using this to compose texts, just as I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking on my desktop.  Using Dragon meant I've already done the learning curve for this type of tool.  Much better than using the touch screen/animated keyboard, tho I'll use that for really short responses.  Definite plus.

Reasons I got an iPhone -
5) music! I can finally listen to what was on my 12 yo iPod -  learning this feature was fairly easy, sound is decent. Definite plus.

7) taking pics - yes, this is fun.  Challenging for me, due to my visual and vestibular disorders, but a definite plus. 
Pic for this post is an artistic rendering with colored pencils, of all the creative stuff I do - writing, playing music on my flute & piano keyboard, listening to music, & drawing. Doing this complex drawing was major for me!

8) I was running out of storage on my basic phone, & had serious software incompatibility problems. 

9) it's a phone! the sound is better than my old basic phone, & I use my directory feature.  Voicemail, etc. pretty easy to learn, and Ron helped a lot.

Overall, I'm glad I'm now in the smart phone world.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.