September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 29th, 2018 Anxiety - it comes down to exposure



Speaking broadly, there are 2 kinds of worry - 1 & 2... Worry 1 is an actual problem - there are loads of real problems - and problem-solving is important, though not all problems can be fixed, or maybe there's a piece that's not easily fixed.

Worry 2 is the ??? - there's plenty that goes in this category, & we try to predict, & forecast, & prevent... sometimes it works, sometimes not. There's often LOTS of stuff beyond our control.

Worry Exposure... Christina has often told me that learning to tolerate uncertainty is key in treating Anxiety.  Learning to tolerate uncertainty means exposure. I did NOT want to do exposure, but I now get that it's necessary - anxiety treatment can't be done just by thinking about anxiety, or talking about anxiety - you have to expose yourself to what makes you anxious (with meds supervised by a doctor, in my opinion)... Fun, right?

Exposure is different for everyone, because what actually makes people anxious differs, & you DON'T start with whatever rates a 10/panic attack!  To be successful, you start exposing to what is, for example, a 2,3, or 4. Hopefully over time, anxiety decreases. Working with a professional is also, in my opinion, recommended.


I'm don't know how often anxiety that rates a 10/panic attack successfully diminishes, but I DO believe that anxiety that's between 5 & 10 diminishes... I ALSO believe it takes time, & doesn't go in a straight line... Dealing with problems - particularly difficult ones - rarely does. So as I head into 2019, I want to keep trying, do the best I can.


http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/anxiety/exposure-therapy-anxiety-disorders

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.