September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 2nd, 2018 Living with, managing, my MAV & CI



Definition of the word chronic -
"(of an illness) persisting for a long time or constantly recurring."

I have migraine associated vertigo, which is a chronic neurological condition.  I also have convergence insufficiency, an eye teaming vision disorder, the severity of which was brought on by my illness.

I got sick in Sept. of 2011.  I talked recently with Christina, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapist), about the difference between getting a kind of sick that goes away, even if it takes a while, and having a chronic illness. 

Management can be challenging when I can't control the variables that can bring on symptoms - dizziness/disequilibrium, sensory overload, cognitive processing difficulty, etc. - and this can mean my energy threshold is lower. 

Management at home, particularly when I can control the noise, light, and general busyness of my environment, is easier.  My energy/stamina is decent - though I still have to pace myself.

It's easier when I'm someplace my body has learned - a space, people, etc. - that has become familiar - as opposed to completely new.  When we got our kitchen floor replaced 2 summers ago, it took me about a month to learn the new, porcelain surface - very different from the old linoleum. 

Challenging myself - whether on purpose, or not - is more likely to bring on symptoms.  So quality of life, while living with my invisible disorders, is not just about my neurological rehab, but self-management.  Asking for accommodations if/when possible, and doing the best I can in the moment.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.