September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

May 10th, 2019 Migraine trigger info - food, plus




My diet takes work, & part of my work with my CBT therapist, going forward, will be to figure out any ways I can be slightly more mobile, given my dietary constraints. 

I have a lot of dietary restrictions, & I adhere to my diet because my balance, and my ability to think are dramatically affected by migraine food triggers.  I have some other health conditions which impact what I eat, and again, I am disciplined purely because I feel so much better.

The good news is that in addition to feeling better (actually better even than prior to my migraine diagnosis), my diet is extremely healthy.

MSG isn't always called MSG - or monosodium glutamate. It is also known as:

hydrolyzed soy, wheat, corn, or casein protein
Sodium caseinate
yeast extract
yeast nutrient
autolyzed yeast
Textured protein
calcium Caseinate
yeast food

Spices/herbs - so here's the list I know of that are migraine triggers -

onion
garlic
cumin
clove
cinnamon
tarragon
thyme
vanilla
salt - if too much

The good news is there's plenty of spices/herbs that are fine - a few of the ones I use a lot -

Sage
oregano
basil
nutmeg
Allspice
cardamom
crushed rosemary

and I love olive oil.

NOTE - Clarification - 

to clarify in case there's any confusion re my Migraine diet trigger info - I take the Johns Hopkins list (see link below) to be a guideline, & the specific info I put in my post re MSG & spices/flavoring were given to me by reputable sources back when I first was diagnosed with MAV. I shared exactly because it's difficult to find this very specific info, & helped me tremendously... that said, someone else who isn't as sensitive might not have trouble with 1 or more of them.

Here's a link to VeDA's info re Migraine associated vertigo - if you scroll down you'll see information about diet - https://vestibular.org/migraine-associated-vertigo-mav

Here's a link to a pdf from Johns Hopkins, which has a great deal of info - https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/otolaryngology/_docs/Migraine%20patient%20handout.pdf

Here's a link to a comprehensive list regarding migraine food triggers - https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/9648-headaches-and-food


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.