September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 29th, 2018 Give myself a break, AND give myself credit


I remember about 18 yrs ago calling my then pcp because I was dizzy when I lay down. When I moved around I was OK...  he said it was an inner ear infection, that it "happens all the time to people" & would go away in a few days... he explained nothing about balance... whether he was right, or I just got lucky, it did go away & I thought no more about it.

When I woke up to HORRIBLE vertigo in Sept. of 2011, I had NO idea just how much I had to learn, not only about balance, but about self advocacy.  Self advocacy isn't just asking for what I need, it's also doing my best to explain to Dr. Margolis - or one of the other people I work with - what's going on with me.  Trying, figuring out what will help my unique, neurological self to make progress. This whole experience has been, as Dr. Mirsky, my psychiatrist, often says - a process.

Sometimes it's been quite a struggle.  I now understand that my anxiety - rooted in PTSD from the night I got sick - tricked me into thinking progress was impossible.  Anxiety & depression became my constant companions.  Anxiety & depression can be SO sneaky, creeping in almost imperceptibly, & tricking your mind.... ugh... I sure as hell didn't CHOOSE anxiety & depression, any more than I chose MAV or CI!

I wish I could have put the pieces together sooner, but  there was SO much to put together, to understand. It's easy for me to forget just how much of a learning curve I've been on - beating myself up for lost time isn't helpful.  I know if someone else shared this story of mine, if it were theirs instead, I'd say "it sounds like you've been doing the best you can - give yourself a break...".

Yes "give yourself a break"... & give yourself credit that you DID finally reach out for help, & now you're working hard - pieces are still coming together, falling into place. As Dr.  Margolis said "good stuff...".

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.