September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 21st, 2018 getting real


I looked up the definition of the word realistic - this is what I found -

     1.  having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.
2.  representing familiar things in a way that is accurate or true to life.

I have disabilities - I don't use that word much, but it's true... that's the box I check on the taxi coupons I use - "disabled rider"... I feel like owning my disabilities is healthy, not about giving in. 

Here are some of my realities -
1) I don't drive, & I think it's unlikely I will again.

2) I'm no longer a performing, teaching flutist, tho I still play my flute.

3) I don't travel, & it's unlikely I will again. I'm able to visit my parents, & other family by car.

4) I'm trying to do more with my husband Ron.

5) I read - & LOVE - the comic strip MUTTS, as well as headlines in our local paper, and the headings of some newsletters. I've gone thru a couple Lands'End catalogs, and then gotten help from Ron to make purchases.

6) I'm very limited re my computer usage, tho I've learned how to use my iPad to listen to audiobooks.

7) I draw, play our piano keyboard, & occasionally connect by phone with friends/family.

8) I'm able to do some ordinary but necessary household tasks (i.e. cooking, laundry).

9) I'm interested in advocacy - speaking out about vestibular and vision disorders - specifically migraine associated vertigo (MAV), & convergence insufficiency (CI) (eye teaming).  I'm thinking about what more I can do, how I can better educate people. 

10) I do neurological rehab - Vision Therapy & Feldenkrais - & plan to take a break in 2 months, when my daughters are on Winter Break.

I need to own my invisible disorders, which means talking about how my symptoms feel, not hiding.  Explaining to those who are interested, & will listen. Putting a face on these disorders makes them real.  *I* am here.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.