September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 7th, 2018 4 Challenges, or Hello, Worry Exposure!


Sometimes the challenges just kind of appear, sometimes they are planned -

Challenge #1 - yesterday Ron ended up coming back late from an errand, so I ended up walking Cosmo by myself!  On a VT day in a less... I talked Cosmo, who was a good boy :-) and what do you know, I did it!

Challenge #2 - we needed to have the plumber come out, and between the high holidays, and a few other things, I ended up having to deal with it on my own... We've had the same plumber for years now and he's a very nice guy and knows our house well, as does his assistant... I managed to find things to do while they were here, giving myself breaks to pace myself... I took a quick look at the bill so I would know what we were paying for, but I asked him to write the check out - he did this in front of me.

I definitely felt anxious, but I also feel good that I did both of these things.

Upcoming Challenges -
#1 - some cousins (Ron's side of the family) are hosting Erev Rosh Hashanah at their house - in Marengo - this is about 1 1/2 hours drive away... Since I got sick 7 years ago, I've literally been to their house once, 4 years ago for Rosh Hashanah... Going there is challenging because -
1) long drive there and back
2) in the evening
3) socializing is challenging for me now, because of my vision and vestibular disorders, and I feel RUSTY

4) my restricted diet
5) getting to bed a bit later than usual - even a 1/2 hour makes a difference for me, especially after doing something special.

Challenge #4 - Rosh Hashanah morning service the next day -
1) socializing - yeah, that again
2) LOTS of people  - the din of lots of voices/people talking
3) LOTS of sound - the choir is wonderful, but yeah, lots of sound - plus people, including the Rabbi, talking into a mic
4) doing this THE DAY AFTER an evening out!

This ALL definitely counts as worry exposure for me - in fact, I thought about only e-mailing Christina, but decided screw it - maybe this will help someone, if I post publicly... my PTSD Anxiety is a real thing... it sucks, but it's there... AND I realized that staying home because I'm scared seemed like a bad idea - the 2 Rosh Hashanah events both definitely count as special gatherings I don't want to miss, and it won't get any easier if I keep avoiding this stuff... in fact, I realized it's only going to get harder.

*I* can decide how much I talk, vs listening - listening is good... I ALSO realized that even though everything may not be perfect, perfect isn't required... I'm worried about all kinds of symptoms because of my vision and vestibular disorders, that I'll end up having a set-back.... BUT, I can take breaks, and maybe, just maybe I'll feel GOOD about myself for having done this... I'm thinking just going is a win for me... and I can rest afterwards... So, I'm anxious, but I'm going to do this stuff.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.