September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 30, 2019 The person I am, & what matters



I try to distinguish between my PTSD Anxiety, & the symptoms of my migraine associated vertigo and/or convergence insufficiency disorders. These disorders are all internal - I look fairly healthy to the casual observer.

It's not like there's a drawer, or pocket, or something inside of me that's for each of these disorders. But when I do something, I have a pretty good understanding now of what challenges me, so I'm getting better at figuring out what's going on. Fatigue is sometimes the main issue. Even if I don't feel really bad symptoms, the management can be very tiring.

Many people have some basic understanding of anxiety, though PTSD Anxiety, which produces physiological changes in my body, is harder to comprehend.  My other invisible disorders - the vestibular & visual - are even more difficult to understand. When someone simply respects that they don't know what's going on inside my body, yet believes that I have challenges, that's the best understanding to have.

When I think about how I spend my time, I know that I can't know what my future holds, so I have to focus on now. Be present. I can ask myself "what do I want to have to look back on at the end of the week?". Yes, just a week, not a month, certainly not a full year. A week.

We live in a high speed, high tech age when productivity is highly valued. Yet when I think about what matters most, I believe it's still about people feeling connected, valued.

Rather than thinking about productivity, what I've gotten DONE, what else is there?



I want to have learned - life feels kind of tedious without any learning

I want to have laughed

I want to have shared some good conversations

I want to have made music, to have been creative

I want to share some hugs, some smiles

I want to know I was kind, and treated with kindness

I don't want to chase after perfection - that feels like an impossible standard, and exhausting

When I think about my life with my invisible disorders, what I really want at the end of each week, is to feel a sense of worth, value in living. It feels like a shift in thinking, but in its' essence, I want to feel good about who I am, regardless of my invisible disorders.

How I feel about the person I am doesn't have to solely come from productivity.

My sense of myself - invisible disorders included - can come, really, from more than what I got done.  Noticing a beautiful flower, & sharing pictures for others to appreciate. Like the pictures of flowers I posted with this piece. Drinking in how lovely they are.

Enjoying a beautiful weather day. Sunshine. My house, with my three fluffs, also known as Cosmo, Maisy & Molly. Knowing I have friends & family who care - whether they're physically with me or not, & even if my friendship circle is very small. How I treat myself & other people - with kindness, compassion. Trying to keep my sense of humor, letting tears come - & be seen.



It's not like I just discovered kindness, compassion and human responsibility, but I have more clarity now.  I need to focus less on trying to find a spot for myself in the overwhelming, high tech world that's racing past me, on all this supposedly vital productivity, and focus more on the kind of person I am.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.