September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 7, 2019 What I promise myself - acceptance, & more


I was telling Ann, my vision therapist, about various jobs I've had since getting married -
1) first with our Chamber of Commerce, then
2) an online organizing website (I learned, but made no money),
then
3) as an independent contractor for a company that tied the housing market to the Chamber (this went well until the housing market went very badly),
& finally
4)giving private flute lessons ( I discovered I enjoyed this after teaching both our daughters).

Interwoven throughout, I was a stay-at-home mom.  But my daughters are now young adults. Ann commented that I've reinvented myself a number of times. I'd never thought of it that way. And now, with both my daughters embarking on their final year of formal education (the learning never ends), I'm asking questions.

I told Christina that the possibility that where I'm at now is basically it, terrified me.  I don't remember if she asked me, but I asked myself later what it was that terrified me. Feeling tremendous sadness? Frustration? Anger? Loneliness? If I'm afraid of all of that, that would mean I'm afraid of being human.

None of those feelings is easy to feel, and maybe I - maybe a lot of us - get scared that if we let ourselves feel these emotions, we'll disappear into them. We won't stop feeling that way. We won't ever feel anything good again.

Sometimes being human isn't easy - sometimes it's damn hard. But at 58 years old, and counting, I know - yes, I truly know - that I've gotten through every single one of my worst, hardest moments, my toughest days.

I hate what happened to me eight years ago. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who says that getting sick was actually a gift of some kind, that it was meant to be. But I can't change that it happened.  I have disabilities. I'm so much better than I was, but I have disabilities, and I don't think that's going to change.


So here's what I promise myself.

To feel - I'll let myself feel. I will feel joy, love, gratitude, and all the difficult emotions as well.

To have self compassion - I don't want to feel sorry for myself, nor do I want anyone else to.  I want to feel self compassion, and I ask for empathy.

To find meaning - I will fill my time, beyond meeting my responsibilities as best I can, with what has meaning for me.  This can be as simple as cuddling a pet, hugging Ron, reminding myself how far I've come. I don't want to fill my time just for the sake of filling time.  Disabled or not, once responsibilities are met, none of us should be just filling time.  Life is too short for that.

To grow - I will try to always grow as a human being. That doesn't mean being in my therapies forever - that's not the goal of any therapy.

To find acceptance within myself - I will try to accept the truth of my invisible disorders, so that I can move forward to get the most out of my life that is possible. This means most of the time focusing on the positive, on what I can do, on what is good, rather than all my various challenges.

To notice & nurture - I need and want to work on noticing not what brings me down, but what helps me, nurtures the kind of person I choose to be.

To do my best to live in the moment, take things one day at a time.


I listened to the Epilogue, written by Joshua Williams, for The Unwinding of a Miracle. His wife died of cancer, and this is what he said -
"It is in the acceptance of truth that real peace & wisdom come. It is in the acceptance of truth that real living begins.  Conversely, avoidance of truth is the denial of life."
I think what Joshua Williams means, and what I believe, is that acceptance opens up space to breathe, move forward, to see what my life still has to offer. Even with disabilities, I deserve that. Everyone with disabilities does.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.