September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 13, 2019 A conscious choice - it matters



Choice. Choose what to focus on. It's a simple idea, that's taken me quite a while to absorb.  I had the pleasure of speaking again with my friend David, the guy who's the chair of the ambassadors – the patient advisory board – of the vestibular disorders Association.  Also known as VeDA. I love these flamingos - these are on shirts I own.



Every time I talk to David, I'm reminded and impressed by his positive attitude.  David, a former EMT, suffered a brainstem stroke five or six years ago.  He had to relearn to walk and talk (the talking was more about processing, than how to say words). He's now working part time at WalMart. He has moved past anger and bitterness - he is so genuinely positive!

Now, in addition to his part time job, David is involved as a volunteer, advocating for positive change.  That's why he's  part of the same group as me, that started the vestibular petition (see the link below).  One more year, and this petition will hopefully go to the World Health Organization.  With as many signatures as we can get.

Talking to him reminded me that all of us with vestibular disorders - and maybe some other health issues thrown in to make things more interesting - have a choice every day. I can choose to focus on all of my challenges, my frustrations etc.  Or I can choose to focus on what is good in my life.

Here's a picture of me not smiling. Here's one of me smiling.


Looking at the two pictures next to each other, I was really struck by the difference a smile makes. Of course, it needs to be a real smile - the kind that uses your whole face. We've all heard it "laughter is the best medicine," but smiles can really make a difference as well.

Smiling is, I believe, part of the choosing what to focus on thing. But there are days when smiling really doesn't feel so natural. Then it takes a conscious choice. Until I get good at this choosing thing - and maybe even after I'm good at it - I have to make that conscious choice. Because there WILL always be challenges and frustrations.  All of that, and the grief over loss, will always be there to a degree.


So I have to choose, every day, between focusing on all that mess, or finding something good. It's not about blotting out the tough stuff, it's about moving past it, making that choice to focus on the positive. It's going to take some practice for this to feel authentic. I'm going to have to do concrete things, especially in the beginning, to make this stick.

I need to greet each day, not with
"well, here I go again, another day..." but rather,

"I'm fortunate to be so much better than I used to be... what am I going to do with this day I'm starting?"

Here's the petition link -  


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.