September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 21, 2019 A conversation with myself - self compassion, acceptance



I've written a lot more about vision therapy, than Feldenkrais, but Feldenkrais is really important. Feldenkrais - awareness through movement - was developed by Moshe Feldenkrais. A brilliant, fascinating man.  I'm fortunate to work with the practitioner whose first teacher actually knew Mr. Feldenkrais.

Another thing about Feldenkrais that's helpful, in addition to the obvious help with my balance, is that Joyce is very present focused. This is not to say that we don't ever discuss goals - I've talked with her about becoming more independent, doing more for myself, and she's always quick to cheer me on. But there's also a sense of "what do I have going for me NOW?".

This perspective is something I really struggle with. I thought about it even in terms of the last piece I posted, in which I talked about my reading. I know I should be cheering myself on - that I re-approached reading a book, brought one to vision therapy. But if I'm going to be honest, part of me also thinks "God, this is pathetic, just one stinking paragraph?! Really?!"

One reason I can write this blog is that reading my own writing is easier, because comprehension is much easier.  I have the words in my head before they're in front of me, and then I know what I have written. How much of someone else's words I'll be able to read someday? I have no idea. When I have some idea of what's being said - whether because someone's already told me, or because I know what the topic is - that helps.

Feeling frustrated and disappointed about my limitations is very hard. And then I remind myself of two things -

Self compassion, and acceptance.

Whenever I try to do something that is now challenging, difficult for me, I need be proud of myself for trying.  It's so unhelpful when I only feel bad about not being able to do as much as I would like. As much as I used to be able to do.

There's so often a feeling that something's missing, that I should be doing more. That things should be better. 


But when do I step back, and say, as if I'm my own best friend "hey, look what you've done -

you've reached out to friends more,

you're going to the DORS orientation - Christina's right, you would never have done that last year,

you've checked out some volunteer opportunities on your own

you and Ron are following through on some possible home projects, to make actual decisions

you're going to meet with two people you've never met before, at the library, to talk about some kind of possible writing coaching one of them may be willing to do with you

You're managing your household - that's a LOT by the way, and you couldn't do nearly as much as you do now, even two years ago!

Come on Tamar, you didn't ask for your disorders - I mean, really, who the hell would?! - and look what you're doing!"



"Maybe your life will get better than it is now, maybe not - you don't know... you don't know what the future holds... but give yourself credit for where you've gotten yourself! And let yourself enjoy what you have, right now"


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.