September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 25, 2019 Lived experience, emotional health



I've been thinking about what the lived experience of having a chronic illness is like. The truth is there's no one answer - there's probably as many answers as there are people with chronic conditions. What I can share is my own experience.

I often feel like I'm in this in-between space. I'm not nearly as sick as I once was - for which I'm very grateful - but I'm also quite different. Different from the me pre-illness. I've said that I'm much more functional at home, & that's true - and I'm glad of that. But when I think of putting myself into some sort of "out there" experience, my limitations rear their obnoxious little heads.

No driving, limited reading, limited screen time, very restricted diet are some the come readily to mind. My ability to process info is definitely better, but I can still reach overload.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to take a writing class - I really do better in interactive environments - but these days, writing classes mean a lot of computer usage. I simply don't have the ability to do that.

Taking a class, or doing any schooling, is simply not an option for me now. Getting anywhere for even as early as 10 a.m. is very difficult for me. Getting up before 8 a.m. is difficult for me, & it takes me about 2 hours to do my whole getting ready routine, & feel like I'm into my day. This isn't a super practical time frame, but it's mine.

I still need to take a break in the early afternoon. Doing things in the evening is possible, but challenging, & not something I do a great deal of.  I don't handle socializing in crowds well, particularly after an event such as a Shabbat service. The result is that my social circle has shrunk quite a bit.

I no longer beat up on myself when I can't do something - I remind myself I didn't choose my circumstances. But it's still incredibly frustrating. I told Ron that I'd worry about how it would be when our daughters were once again gone, each for their final year of schooling, when it happened.

Now it's right around the corner, & I'll miss them. And it makes me think "So what's my own life like, living with my invisible disorders?"
Frustrating, somewhat isolated, full of effort. I chip away in therapies, but it's hard to see possibilities in the big picture sometimes. Very hard.

My therapist Christina would probably say that my emotions seem to yo yo, or ping pong or whatever image you want to use, a great deal. That's true. I guess that's part of my lived experience. Dealing with a lot of difficult feelings, & also doing my best to keep going, notice anything good.



I've realized that, because managing our household became such an incredible struggle for me after I got sick, regaining this ability took center stage. My life has become about managing the household, managing my invisible disorders, and doing my therapies.  This feels, to pardon the pun, out of balance.

I need to spend more time each week on my various creative outlets, even if they are now solitary. More piano, & more drawing comes to mind. I also need to push myself to make phone calls more frequently to friends & family. I don't know what my future holds. What I DO know is that I need to feed my emotional health more right now.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to August 25, 2019 Lived experience, emotional health

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.