September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 19, 2019 Keep going, one foot after the other



When I think about the most important pieces to my neurological rehab, I think two things -

1) keep going - keep putting one foot in front of the other.

2) don't get so caught up in wherever you may end up, that you get no joy out of where you are.

Yes, you have to have the correct diagnosis, and the right treatment plan.  But none of that - not even the money to do everything – really matters without the ability to stick to it, to keep on getting back up, over and over again. 

Getting sick flattened my self-confidence. PTSD Anxiety took over.  My PTSD anxiety causes real physiological responses.  My vertiginous migraine and convergence insufficiency (eye teaming) disorders are also real.  But so was & is the work I've been putting in - me, myself & I - in my therapies.  

Therapy of any kind only works if I bring myself to the table.  Over and over again.  Neurological rehab takes effort, time, perseverance, patience.  That's really all up to me.  Even with support – which is certainly important – it still really comes down to me.  That really is the essence of independence.

So here are some things I want to remember -

1) to stay focused,

2) to use experiences to learn from them - the bad ones, as well as the good ones,

3) that I can problem solve,

4) to treat myself like I would a best friend - with self-compassion, kindness


5) Building up a skill set takes time - be patient with myself.

6) to notice when anything - yes, anything!  – gets even a little bit easier

7) to not be afraid to challenge myself - challenge but not overwhelm - I can do more than I think I can.

8) to take the long view - It took a long time to put together my medical team, but it was my tenacity that made that happen. I have to learn lessons over & over, but that's how learning is - I'm retraining my brain. I AM in a much better place than a year ago, and I need to keep going.

About No. 6 - Paying attention to the positive is surprisingly difficult to do. Paying attention so you know when danger is coming makes sense, in order to survive. But it makes sense that paying attention to - really noticing - positives in our lives is equally important.

I write those words because I feel like I'm always saying that I need to pay attention to the good stuff, shout it to the world. But the DOING of that attention to the good is something I consistently fall short on.



So, in an effort to try again with this noticing of the good, here I go -

1) went to Container Store with Cara

2) went to Bed Bath & Beyond

for both of these errands, we knew basically what we wanted, & I pushed the shopping cart at Bed Bath. I also didn't try to take in ALL the visuals.

3) Washed 2 pots

4) Looked thru my Oprah magazine - pictures, headings

5) Let Cara have a sleepover at our house - 3 friends, they used our basement

6) Listened to my audio book in a different part of house because of the sleepover, figured out I needed to switch chairs - so I was flexible, but also problem solved when I wasn't feeling grounded.

7) when Ron, Cara & Leena were talking about travel plans for the end of Cara's semester abroad, I caught myself, & didn't blame myself that I can't handle being part of this trip - I didn't ask for my invisible disorders/limitations.

8) went to New Balance with Cara

9) went to Walgreens, AND the bank, with Cara - the bank was SO nice & quiet after the busy-ness, noise, visuals of Walgreens.

And finally - Even if I don't write down something positive, it still counts if I mentally notice it.  I think it's good to see things on paper, but it's also important to simply think it. To say to myself "hey, give yourself credit for that thing you just did!".



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.