September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 8, 2019 letting in the light




I asked Dr. Margolis today if he thought I could still improve, & he said that's why he does progress reports - because he wants a chance to talk with his patients, and also see if there's measurable improvement.

For me, his answer is yes, he can see actual improvement from the last time he saw me. He noted that because he's gotten to know me, he has a real sense of how I'm progressing, beyond purely standard measurements.

Which brings me to an idea that keeps rolling around in my head - that I need to compare myself to a previous point post-illness, not pre-illness. I'm realizing more & more that the picture I have in my head of what I'm "supposed" to be moving towards is really unfair to myself.  

Picturing myself doing some of the things I did before I got sick makes me feel like a failure. But that's totally unfair to myself, & just plain wrong. I didn't ask to get sick, & I've made a lot of progress. It's taken a long time, for a lot of reasons, but my progress is real. So the question for me is how to re-tool my life.

Rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean building the exact same structure all over again. Thinking outside the box, thinking differently needs to happen.

It's hard to recognize my PTSD anxiety sometimes. Sometimes it's an unmistakable, uncomfortable feeling. But sometimes it's disguised as depression, as a feeling of stuckness, of "what's the point of all this, anyway?".

I also still always worry about things going wrong - really wrong. It's hard to move past that feeling. I hate that I have to pace myself, & I worry that if I don't get it right - the pacing, that is - there's that "uh oh" feeling. Same thing when I challenge myself. I worry that I won't recover. But if I let all that negative, anxious stuff get in the way of thinking that some things can still be possible, it's like a huge dark blanket over my brain.

That blanket sucks out every bit of light. There's no room for creativity, or imagination. For thinking outside the box. Saying "OK, maybe you won't do what you once did, but maybe there are still possibilities for you. You really just need one or two ideas to work - not dozens!"

I've got to let all those bits of rehab work in me, like little bits of light coming through little openings in the negative, anxious blanket that threatens to cover me up.  Those bits of light can add up to something. 


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.