September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 25th, 2019 I get it - physiology behind PTSD



I get it - the sympathetic nervous system is the fight or flight, the parasympathetic is the one that calms you down. 

When your brain is changed from PTSD, the sympathetic system gets activated too frequently, in situations when it really shouldn't, & is totally unhelpful, with resulting physiological symptoms - i.e. shallow breathing, or even holding of breath, rapid heartbeat etc.

I've felt so frustrated about the symptoms, separate from those from my vestibular migraine and vision disorders.  Now I understand - something about Dr. Margolis's explanation clicked for me - why it happens.

The idea behind syntonics - a special kind of light therapy that takes the light therapy used for seasonal affective disorder further - is to have these two systems (sympathetic and parasympathetic) work together better. 

Even if syntonics still doesn't work for me, it's a relief to finally understand PTSD.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.