September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 10th, 2019 It's what's happening in rehab that matters




Sunday always seems to turn into a down day for me, so I decided in order to make sense of it, I'd write about it.

It's the day before you move into the week ahead, & I guess I think about what constitutes my life... it's still very rehab centered, & still more "home" centered, than "out there."

I've had some disappointments - not being able to find a volunteer opportunity that works for me.

It's hard living with the fact that I don't know FOR SURE if I'll find something that does work, & I guess I have to acknowledge that that's hard. It's hard to have a lot of disappointments.

My PTSD Anxiety still tells me "focus on the negative" which spirals me into feeling bad, into thinking about BIG stuff that's out of reach... & then it's hard to focus on my accomplishments.

Ultimately, my therapies will become support - maintenance, if you will - rather than the main events... that's what doing something that's a means to an end is about.  So, I have to try things in my therapies - CBT, Feldenkrais, VT - to see how much more progress I can make.

My accomplishments, as I live a life with disabilities, are different now.  But that doesn't make them any less real, or valuable. I know that's true, even if I don't always feel it.

Opening myself up to the possibility of more disappointments is difficult, but I have to do it in order to figure out this new life of mine. 

And I have to remind myself that there's ALSO the possibility of success.  And what's important isn't so much that I'm still living a rehab centered life, but what's happening in my rehab - which I'm so lucky to still be able to do! The answer to that question - what's happening? - is a LOT.  And that's good.







Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.