September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 13th, 2018 Still recovering...


I spoke with a friend who had a bad experience with a functional doctor, and I remembered an experience of my own... I don't remember who gave me her name, but I went to a functional nutritionist - one whose name I later found out was being given out by my new PCP (whom I like) because no one ever gave my PCP feedback... well, *I* did.

I saw this nutritionist after getting my MAV diagnosis - I called ahead to see if she treated people with migraine conditions, and was told "yes..." so off I went... I had one long consultation, and was told I could do an expensive blood test that would give me all the answers... and, yes, I fell for it.  What I FINALLY realize is that after everything I'd already BEEN  through, of COURSE I did it - what a relief to do ONE test, and then have this nutritionist who'd been recommended to me, give me answers!

During my follow up, she claimed I had "the worst case of leaky gut (I've) she'd ever seen..." and I left, with my husband, feeling TOTALLY overwhelmed... the one lucky thing was that I had an appointment with my then therapist, Dr. Glad, shortly after who said simply "she's telling you to make way too many changes too quickly, of course you're having trouble..." 

I stopped sending the nutritionist e-mails, just stopped everything.  The nutritionist had recommended extreme dietary changes, some of which seemed to have nothing to do with my migraine condition.  I was having significant GI problems as a result.  I went instead to a registered dietitian at Lake Forest Hospital, who explained some basics, such as reacting to foods with tannins, and/or fermentation (about 6 spices, yeast, MSG and its' "relatives," cheese, and vinegar to name a few), and started to recover.  

Unfortunately, due to my Anxiety/PTSD, I still, 5 1/2 years later, have to deal with getting my diet back to where I think I ultimately will stay... I have many real migraine food triggers, as well as some other health issues which restrict my diet... but with Christina's (CBT therapist) help, I hope to eventually make some changes in a gradual, methodical way... I've said it before, I'll say it again - it's been a long, long road...




Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.