September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 11, 2020 - Keep going...


I heard big news from my appointment with Dr. Margolis (vision therapy) - I no longer have the diagnosis of convergence insufficiency!

He did a couple very specific motion tests, and said that the reason I still have trouble - for example, with reading - is because my visual vestibular integration is still giving me some trouble.

He's worked with me for a long time now, and says that there's been overall steady progress. He pointed out some of the ways in which I've made progress -some more obvious like glasses, and some somewhat less obvious like how will I tolerate something.

He also said that it's important for me to do work at home. He said even a few seconds of something matters.

It's hard to be traveling such a long, slow road, but if I hadn't kept going, I wouldn't have gotten to the point of him saying that my convergence insufficiency diagnosis is over. I still have work to do, and feel like I owe it to myself to keep going. I realize that I'm very, very fortunate to have the support to keep going.

I don't want to be so glued into doing vision therapy that it prevents me from doing something else, which would mean taking an occasional week off. I feel like taking breaks with such long term neurological rehab is important for my mental health.

I still have my vertiginous migraine disorder, which presents sensory problems, and I still have PTSD anxiety/depression. But it's incredibly encouraging to hear that something that I didn't think would be fixed - I mean, I've been doing VT for 6 1/2 years! - has been.

To anyone out there reading this, who's also traveling a long, tough road... find people to encourage you, and don't give up on yourself.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.