September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 14, 2019 - Taking stock... a lot to be grateful for



What do I know for sure?

1) I got sick eight years ago. Here's a link to my piece with more details about my journey -

2) I am always learning about my various invisible disorders - management, etc.

3) I have to limit my screen time - for example, check my e-mail once daily (unless truly urgent), limit my texting, etc.

4) Comparing myself to others has limited value. Seriously, there are millions and millions of people in the world – of course there's someone out there better off than you, and worse off.

Medically speaking, comparing myself to myself earlier in this journey might be valuable if I can learn something.

As a person, comparing myself more generally to myself might be helpful when thinking about what I really care about. For example, I loved the connections I had with other people through my musical world. Having connections can come from other sources.

5) there is value in asking myself "am I still getting something out of my therapy?". This question applies to each of them. If I'm still noticing change, something different - in a way that impacts my life positively - even if it's not BIG, the answer is "yes". Because this means my brain is learning. That's what brain re-training is all about - learning.

6) There's a lot that I don't know for sure. Life is full of uncertainty, and it's actually better, I believe, to recognize and accept that.

7) I want to try to enrich my life where and when possible. Trying out volunteering at our local food pantry, to see if that's a good fit. Trying out some kind of volunteer project at Dr. Margolis' office.

8) that I'm determined, tenacious, a good problem solver and intelligent. Whenever my life presents difficulties, challenges, I use these qualities to approach whatever is happening in my life. As cliché as it sounds, it really is true that every time I encounter a difficult stretch in my medical journey, I build self resilience.

9) I have disabilities.

10) I am strong and compassionate.

11) I have a family who loves and supports me.


12) the sun will rise and set each day - hence the pictures with this piece.

13) I have a lot to be grateful for.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.