September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 25, 2020 - What do baby steps look like?


I wish my neurological rehab was easier, a lot easier... I wish I could go faster... I wish that I could follow a framework that would absolutely always work, no room for error. I wish that I never had any IBS flare-ups. I wish sensory overload was never an issue, and that my PTSD never got triggered...etc., etc.

Sometimes I feel like giving up on this whole rehab thing, saying "I've had enough!". I absolutely do want to enjoy what I've achieved in the last 6 1/2 years. It's really tricky to find a balance between wanting to make progress, and being grateful for what I have.

In the middle of all of this whole thought process, I remind myself that mistakes are part of the process, that this isn't an either/or, black or white situation. Life isn't like that, and rehab is no exception. AND that some things HAVE gone well.

Ann reminded me, when I told her how hard working on this motion stuff is, of how hard working for convergence was. We talked about being flexible with home therapy - some days I will feel able to do more than other days.

And it really is about baby steps. What does that look like in vision therapy?


It's about doing 5 cycles of the infinity walk - basically a large figure 8 - with the addition of 2 visual targets. That's the post-its with smiley faces on them. It's walking past gray stripes taped to our hallway wall, and taking them down at night, so I don't see them when I'm getting into the day, or at night when I'm tired.

The darker stripes are for a good day.

It's adding in 4 cycles of moving my face from one side to the other while keeping my eyes fixed on a target at my midline. Your midline is the middle of YOU - whether from side-to-side or up-and-down. Eventually having stripes in the background.

Baby steps also looks like self-compassion, and giving myself credit for every single positive, NOT just focusing on the hard, challenging, "this didn't go how I wanted it to.." stuff.

Baby steps... and find something - small, medium OR big - to enjoy every single day along the way.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.