September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 5, 2019 Thoughts on a rough patch...



I seem to be going through a rough patch, so I found a piece I wrote back in 2015 about pacing (see the link below). Interestingly, though I've tweaked some things along the way, much of what I said in that piece still holds true.

Here are some things I'm reminding myself of -
Pacing matters, always, AND is a positive, because it's a big part of what gets me through rough patches. It's part of that all important thing called self-care. Sometimes I have to pace myself more than others, that's reality.

Speaking of reality, I didn't choose these disorders, but they are real. I don't like them, not at all, but they're real, and so are my symptoms.

Sometimes I know why I have a rough patch, sometimes not. Often it's a combo of factors. The reasons have nothing to do with it being my fault, that I didn't manage myself as well as I should have. Rough patches happen. Period.

I've gotten through every single rough patch I've had, every tough day.  Someone told me recently to write about what I can do. At first I thought "OK, I'll do that." And then I thought "but what CAN I do that's worth writing about?"

Then I realized, like every other person out there managing some kind of invisible, or not, chronic illness (or maybe more than one), that the managing is what we're doing.

We're doing our best to meet responsibilities, and enjoy life in simple, but worthwhile ways.
Like my cat Molly interrupting my few minutes of flute playing when she jumps on my lap, and lays down on my flute case.
Grateful my daughter may be able to sew patches on my jeans.
Grateful that Ron is able to run all our errands, be a set of functionally healthy eyes to look at what I'm unable to, and hug me.
Grateful that I can DO self-care, including but not limited to all the cooking I have to do for my diet.
Enjoy the beauty of a tree changing colors, that I notice on a walk with Ron and Cosmo.
  


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.