September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 26, 2019 - Acceptance, and perspective



During the last eight years, I've had multiple consultations with medical professionals, and have been tested, all in a quest for answers, for diagnoses. Fortunately, I've gotten lots of info. Treatment for these diagnoses has been both meds, and various therapies. Take a look at "My story in a nutshell".

One of my diagnoses is convergence insufficiency - a vision disorder, diagnosed by my developmental optometrist, Dr. Margolis. I just recently saw him for a progress report, and he could see from how I handled his examination of me, that though I'm by no means back at square one, there has been regression from my recent setback. This didn't surprise me.

He's determined to try to still find ways to help me. He wants to try using yoke prism lenses to see if that helps my peripheral vision. I gave back the green syntonic filter lens glasses. The benefit of the green unfortunately fights against visual distortion that comes with wearing the glasses, so I don't have a net gain. He agreed this was unacceptable, but isn't giving up yet. I'll see when I have my next vision therapy session in November, what I do with Ann.
  
I next see Dr. Margolis in January, so I'll see how the next two months in vision therapy unfold.  I want to remain open  - in general, not just in VT - to possibility, to an opportunity that may present itself, that I have the capacity to explore.

But there's this sense in me, this inner voice that is saying "yes, see how these two months go... but don't be waiting on these two months like something amazing is going to happen... it's time for acceptance…". I know there comes a time when I need to say to my medical team "Enough. It's time for maintenance, and for me to see what my life looks like."  A time for me to accept, and make the best of the circumstances I have.

So I'm asking myself what I know, and what I have, right now -
Some realities -
I have disabilities - that's simply a fact, and not one that's going to change.

I need to pace myself - depending on how I'm doing, the pacing may vary – right now I have to be more careful than when I am not recovering from a setback. But I always, always have to pace myself.

I have to limit my screen time – this is difficult, and can be really frustrating in this high-tech era, but is very necessary.

Some positives -
Take pleasure in my pets,

be grateful for being able to play simply listening to myself on my flute, and on our piano keyboard.

Enjoy having houseplants - here's a picture of our aloe plant, much happier in its' new pot :-)


Be grateful I have so much audio material I can listen to.

Enjoy, and be grateful for every phone call with friends or family. And any time I can spend in person with friends or family.

Be grateful that I am physically able enough to do enough household management that Ron and I can stay in our house.

Certainly grateful that we can manage our finances sufficiently to be able to stay in our house.

We got a postcard from my daughter who is in Scotland. If it had been any longer, or her handwriting not as neat, I could not have read it myself. I had to read it more than once, but I was able to.

When I was done, I thought to myself how much perspective matters. I can be angry and frustrated at how little I can read, or I can be grateful in the moment, that I was able to read her postcard. Yes, I needed to take a break after reading it, but I was able to read it myself.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.