September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 10, 2019 Pacing, meds, & one day at a time


I was asked by several people "what happened? why this setback?". It's a fair question, since I was doing pretty well. Here's my answer -

1) Pacing - I've heard all my therapists say "you're really good at managing, you have good self-awareness" etc., etc. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the reality is this - I don't ALWAYS get it right. As I said to my older daughter, pacing isn't fun. It usually means missing out on something.

I went to morning Rosh Hashanah services last week, did a little bit on the computer, and did a 1 1/2 hours each way trip out to Marengo to see family for a Rosh Hashanah gathering, including some out-of-town family. If I'm being honest, I didn't pace myself well enough.

The following day, I went to the Deerfield optimist installation dinner, to support my husband being installed for his final year as president of the club. I wanted to be there, but going to an evening event the day after Rosh Hashanah was a lot for me.

It's really hard sometimes to pace myself, because I want to DO, to feel normal.  But I need to not beat myself up for making mistakes re my pacing, especially since I pay for it when I don't pace myself sufficiently, which sucks. Pacing ALWAYS matters... taking breaks... even when I feel like I'm doing OK, it's good to stop and say "do I need a break, even a couple minutes?".


Was there more to this than my pacing?
2) Meds - the last time I had an irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) flare up, my body responded well with the med I can take as needed. This time I wasn't responding as well.  I remembered I wasn't on any other meds when my IBS was first diagnosed.

I also remembered having stomach trouble when I tried to go up in dosage on one of my meds, and had needed to go down. Maybe I needed to go down again. For various  reasons, I'm on more than one antidepressant, so lowering the dosage of one seemed safe.

So I e-mailed my psychiatrist, was polite and gave concrete information, & got the OK to lower the dosage of that one med some more, to help my IBS.

I also need to always bring my meds - especially the as-needed meds - when I go on an outing. That goes double if it's challenging.

3) Diet - my diet matters, and despite trying to communicate with the coordinator of the optimist dinner, my food was not prepared exactly as I have requested. Lesson learned - try really hard, on the rare occasions I eat in a restaurant, to speak directly with food provider/chef.

4) glasses - switching back and forth between my distance and near glasses can be annoying. Switching may even challenge me enough that I need to take a break, but I need to wear them. Given my sensitivity, even a few minutes in the kitchen without my glasses makes a difference.  My glasses - all three of them - help me. Chances are if I feel like I need a break, it's not because of the glasses.

Final thoughts –
One day at a time.
Give myself credit for problem-solving.
Remember self compassion, which sometimes means self forgiveness - I can make mistakes (pacing is so hard sometimes - I mean who DOES want to miss out?).
Try to be in the moment, in the here and now.
Notice ANY subtle positive change, not just negatives.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.