September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 19, 2019 Tiny is powerful... it all matters




To state the obvious, experiencing vertigo doesn't make you feel safe.  Because of my recent setback, I've thought about the night I got sick. I think whenever things don't go well, I think about that. I think the opposite of feeling safe is feeling in control.

I've also thought about the losses I've had. Having a chronic illness means, for many, some loss. I'm no exception to that. Part of my loss has been a loss of connection, community. Not just the musical activities in which I participated, but also being more active with our congregation.

So how do I solve these problems? I believe the control answer comes from showing up for my therapies, and doing my brain retraining home therapy. Small bits really do matter. Baby steps. And when I say baby steps, I really mean baby steps - I found a video that does a pretty good job explaining the power of the tiny.


So what do I do that I care about? Continuing to shine a light on invisible disorders. I can do this through my writing. I can also do this by calling new members monthly for the vestibular disorders Association – Veda.

Many times I only leave a message, but I always follow up with an email. Sometimes I receive a reply, and occasionally I speak to someone. They are always very appreciative.

I don't know what else I will find, if anything. I do know that the two things I just described – my writing, and what I do for Veda – both matter.

Community can come from a number of places. I have family, and I want to stay connected - that means attending family gatherings whenever possible, and phone calls. I also need to build on my phone calls to friends. Whenever I do connect with someone, it's a positive for both of us.

I may not always get it exactly right, when I do, when I try things. I'm not going to be able to control everything all the time, which may result in a setback. But I need to keep going. Remember that the keeping going is where I really build my strength. The coming back after a setback.


Giving myself reminders – concrete reminders of what has worked, what I've accomplished - is important. So, even while dealing with this setback - for which recovery is not an exactly straight line - 

here's a list of what I've done -

Went to a BIG furniture store with Ron and Leena to order new dining room chairs.

Did some texting with my daughters.

Went to a morning Yom Kippur service.

Walked the dog by myself.

With a shorter hair cut, I'm going for haircuts every 4 weeks.

Writing and editing this piece, in small bits.

Showed up for vision therapy. Ann said she didn't think I'd regressed from my setback, which was encouraging.

Trying out a new step in syntonics - using a special green filter at home. Here's a picture.


Started up vision therapy brain retraining at home again. A little bit, to get back on track.

Picked out the first part of the song do re mi from the sound of music, on our piano keyboard.

Taking breaks – even a minute or two makes a difference, just like the baby steps of doing makes a difference. My breaks are a time to really focus on doing good breathing.

Do something each day that matters, that I care about, that makes me feel connected. It doesn't have to be big. Tiny can be powerful.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.