September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 2nd 2016 Acceptance isn't giving up, or giving in...

To listen: copy & paste into Google Translate- this also translates to other languages - and click the "speaker" icon.

Replies to blog comments - pls check back for replies - I do try to respond!

I've been thinking about this piece for a while, and decided it was time to put it out there.  These thoughts, like a lot of things, are a work in progress.  This past Fall has brought changes, and frustration, and finally, contemplation. I've been adjusting to my daughters being in college.  I'm proud of them, but it's also meant thinking about my limitations, which is frustrating.  Anyone who knows me knows that I'm concerned about the general election we just had in the U.S.  However, there's a limit to what I can do, how involved I can be politically.  I'm also part of a group that worked on a WHO petition for vestibular patients, but again, there's a limit to how much I can participate in this project. 

I've talked about the importance of using Facebook, but my disorders impact my activity.  I'm very limited re my reading.   Really reading - meaning not copying and pasting text into Google Translate so I can also listen - is a big challenge.  It's one thing to see words - almost like an image, but quite another to actually process the meaning.  If I try to read too many headlines, or comments on FB, without copying and pasting into Google Translate, I get overloaded.  Combining the two systems - auditory and visual - makes comprehension easier, but copying and pasting headlines into GT is very impractical.  Re comments, or articles for that matter, if I copy and paste too much into GT, there's too much eye gaze switching, too much convergence on small targets, and I get overloaded. 

Sensory overload doesn't feel good, and if I don't pay attention, can lead to migraine-like symptoms.  On the plus side, I usually can tell when I'm heading towards overload.  So, I have to back off.  I have to pace myself.  Taking a few minutes here and there throughout my day is, I remind myself, better than feeling lousy and needing to chill out and do basically nothing for maybe an hour, while my system gets reorganized.  Yes, backing off means I feel better in terms of symptoms, but also somewhat less connected.  Then it's time to do writing that doesn't necessarily get published, or post on the Vestibular Support Group simply to get something off my chest.  I remind myself that I'm grateful for what I AM able to do online, and then find a good audio book that gets me out of my own head, and life.


All of this also means I've been thinking about what it means to accept my situation, without feeling like I'm giving up.  I need to continue to communicate with my therapists - my OT and VT - so they understand exactly what my struggles are, and can work with me.  But I also think I need to sit back and say "OK, this is my life, these disorders are part of me.".  I have a migraine condition that I mainly experience as light and sound sensitivity.  I have a vision disorder that impacts my life, realistically, in myriad ways.  I don't think they define who I am, but I DO think accepting that I have these disorders, rather than fighting that concept, is actually healthier for me. 

Acceptance won't come all of a sudden, and it doesn't mean I'll never feel angry, or sad, or whatever.  This process is far from linear.  But acceptance can, I believe, allow me to find a sense of peace about my situation.  Acceptance doesn't mean I'm going to stop putting effort into my rehab.  But it DOES mean it's time for me to say "that's right, you can't do (fill-in-the-blank)... this happened....".  The whys and wherefores don't really matter anymore.  Thinking about whether or not I'm "too young" for something like this is irrelevant, and I know I'm not the youngest person to be dealing with these kinds of disorders.  Thinking that someone else with a different disorder somehow is better off, has it easier than me - feeling jealous of others, what they can do - is normal and understandable, I know, but not helpful for me in the long run.  What matters is to pace myself, take care of myself, and recognize the value of what I CAN do, the person I am, even WITH my disorders. 



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.