September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 21st, 2016 How can I make my time meaningful?

I wrote in my last piece about acceptance.  What does it mean for me to keep working at my rehab, but also work on accepting my situation?  Where do I focus my time and energy?

My home therapy/rehab IS a part of my daily life, but the question is how much I do each day.  I don't want my life to revolve around my rehab.  I know some people who do rehab take this approach, but it doesn't work for me.  I don't want to be constantly in recovery mode from therapy, and personally, I don't see the point if you're only focused on that next step.  There has to also be what's happening now.  I have to be living, not just thinking about where I might be able to go.  Of course, I also don't want to feel stuck.  There's always adjustments, because that's how brain retraining works. Rehab is not a straight line; there's a natural zig zag, and that's OK. 

So, what can I do? I don't want to feel like I'm moving through my days meaninglessly - who would?  I have the use of my arms and legs.  I can think.  I can see and hear. I can speak.  I'm not going to think about how any of those abilities are limited in some way by my disorders.  That said, when you have limitations, feeling like you're doing something because you need SOMETHING to do, or that you have nothing better to do sucks.  Taking my time, because I have ALL the time I could possibly need doesn't feel good.  So, again, what are the main things I can do with my time on a daily basis that give me some kind of fulfillment?  What puts joy, enrichment into my life?

Listening to audio books - I know I can listen to audio books, and that's a good thing.  Getting out of my own head, and life - call it escapism if you will - is a positive.  Books also keep my mind active, keep me thinking.  I'm a bit picky about what I listen to  - Ron would probably say too picky.  But I'm OK with my selectivity.  I want to think, but I don't want to be depressed.  I want sometimes to be entertained, but not mindlessly.  I like good writing.  Call me a snob, but I simply can't enjoy a book that's badly written.  I don't have to relate to the story, but I do want to feel personally drawn in.  I want to feel like I WANT to listen to the book, rather than that I'm just passing time. 

Internet - for me, this is using Facebook, listening to music, and some e-mail.  Though I'm trying to be selective about my FB usage, I definitely still see FB as an important resource for me.  I connect with friends, and get info.   I have to make sure there's a balance to my info in terms of keeping up with the news, but also looking at positive stuff, and connecting with people. Music is self-explanatory - gotta listen to music every day.  E-mail is mainly communicating with a handful of people with whom I don't communicate on FB.

Writing - OK, this is another computer activity, so I have to think about my pacing.  That said, I enjoy writing, and may mix in writing about other things - say an audio book, or a song - in addition to the snapshots of my life.  Talking about invisible disorders will always be important to me, but I also want to make sure I think about, and therefore possibly write about, subjects that aren't directly about me. 

My flute - I've written about the private flute lessons I used to give, and I still think about that as a long term goal.  But there are a lot of issues to deal with, and I want to enjoy what I do NOW, rather than solely focusing on something that may come eventually.  I USED to think that I wanted to wait until I was "camera ready" before making any more videos.  Flute teacher ready.  But I don't know when that's going to be, and I need to do something in the meantime.  I've always said that music is something to be shared, so, I want to see if I can manage our video camera.  I realized that until I try, I won't know for sure what challenges it presents to record myself.  How much help I'll need.  I have no idea how to download from our camera to my computer.  But I think that giving it a try, putting something out there, seeing what response I get, is worth a shot. 


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.