September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 30th 2016 Brain energy; a precious resource...

I commented to my Vision Therapist, Ann, recently about how there's so much to work on in VT, so many pieces.  She acknowledged this, but said that yes, I was correct, that a lot of the pieces are connected.  She also said "you understand now how complex vision is, and how it impacts everything."  Not the least of which is cognitive processing, comprehension of info.  I've had similar conversations with my Feldenkrais therapist, my OT Joyce.

My friend Margaret wrote recently that she had about six partly written blog posts, and wanted to finish one (I can relate to that).  My friend David has told me that writing is difficult for him (he does videos).  I know many writers get "writer's block," but what I'm talking about isn't "I have nothing to say."  It's about organizing the words.  Sometimes I feel like I want to write, but gathering my thoughts, pulling everything together into something coherent just isn't there.

This has to do with what I just mentioned, cognitive processing, which is a big deal.  I wrote a piece about cognitive processing back in June which really hit a nerve.  The other day, I decided to actually look up a couple of definitions.  

Here's one for cognitive:
adjective
1.of or relating to cognition; concerned with the act or process of knowing, perceiving, etc.: cognitive development; cognitive functioning.
2.of or relating to the mental processes of perception, memory, judgment, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.

And now here's one for "cognition" -
"Cognition is the process of acquiring knowledge through our thoughts, experiences, and senses."

Here's my take away having thought about these.  If you are able to think clearly, all your senses are available to you, and you're not using more mental energy than is, well, normal for various balance related tasks, this thing called cognitive processing is much easier.  Learning, reasoning, etc. isn't compromised.  Multi tasking doesn't use up your resources.  Depending on what I'm doing; i.e. how my day is going, how rested I am, If I'm going out (preferably in the a.m., no more than three days in a row) my resources get used up more, or less, quickly.  I don't have the stamina that I'd have if I wasn't existing in my "new normal," but that's not an appropriate yardstick by which to measure myself.

With everything else I need energy for, using it up to remember the same thing six times in a row isn't happening.  My memory in and of itself isn't really that bad, but SEEMS like it sometimes.  It takes extra energy to do certain kinds of multi tasking activities that many don't think about, so I have to be careful how I use my processing resources, my thinking power. 

I use visual reminders; putting a pot on the stove re cooking, putting my cordless phone on the table to remember a necessary phone call.  I write myself notes.  Not long - often only a word or two about something.  My paper doesn't have lines - too much visual clutter - and is small.  Think of something a bit smaller than a 3" x 5" index card.  I never put too many different items - six is plenty - and once two or three items have been crossed out, I re-do my note.  My notes need to be neat.  I can read my own handwriting, but I don't like reading other people's handwriting.  All of this saves my brain energy.   

Using my computer takes a lot of resources, mental effort.  When I'm writing, or on Facebook, there's a lot of eye gaze switching.  This could be from the keyboard to the screen, or from one spot on the screen to another spot.  There's comprehension, whether I'm listening to something, or thinking about a response to something.  And there's my spatial sense of where I am in relation to everything else, what's around me.  I have to scroll, which is visual work.  There's a lot of hand/eye coordination, which requires multi-tasking, which is work.  Sometimes I close my eyes for a bit, but even so, computer use requires a lot of effort, of multi-tasking; processing a lot pretty much at the same time.

Sometimes I listen to what someone else has written, and can't help thinking "wow, I wish I could put together something like that!".  I can't write a piece with any complexity to it in a day.  Granted, I'm a perfectionist.  But I also simply get tired because I'm working so hard.  Then I remind myself that that writer isn't dealing with my challenges.  I realize that everyone has their troubles, but not all troubles impact that thing called cognitive processing the same way.  Still, it's hard never to think about what I'd be able to do - write, whatever - if I wasn't using so many of my resources on visual/vestibular issues. 


I work hard to make progress in my rehab - both Vision Therapy and Feldenkrais - which is a big reason why it's tiring.  In the end, I remind myself - again - that I need to give myself "A" for effort, and credit for what I CAN do, and not compare myself to others.  Margaret DID finally finish and post a good piece.  David put out a great video. We all need to choose and use our resources wisely, but still try to DO.  We each need to do what we can with our lives, whether it's writing, creating a video, or whatever.  

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.