September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 2nd 2015 Reflecting on my rehab, my future, and my flute....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

I'm 54, which I don't consider old.  I have one daughter in college, and one who is a senior in high school. So my mind drifts to what I'm doing with my life.  I don't want to let my disorders define myself and my future, though I want to be realistic.  I recognize that I'm fortunate to work with an excellent OT who is trained in Feldenkrais Therapy (FT).  My FT has, and continues, to help me tremendously.  Of course, my vision disorders  - for which I do Vision Therapy (VT) - are part of my picture, intertwined with my MAV, and significantly impact my life.  VT works, and I'm committed to working with it, though my middle aged system doesn't change as quickly as a young child's does.  I'm encouraged whenever I see posts about someone my age or even older who is doing VT and seeing improvement - that's pretty cool!  

I wrote a piece back in July about my goal of getting back to teaching flute.  I've been thinking a lot during the last few weeks about that.  It's been about a month since I had a significant setback - a setback that required me to pay more attention to my pacing.  I've been remembering when my goal was to take walks again.  I started out walking down our driveway - it's kind of long - and then back to our house.  After a few days I walked the driveway plus past one house, and then back again.  After a few more days I added another house.  Eventually I could walk an entire block and back again, but it took a long time. 

I think reaching any of my goals, but in particular flute teaching, is like walking.  Each piece, each skill I need to re-learn is like walking past the houses.  The big difference is that each step is going to take me more than a few days.  That's one of the realities I'm realizing; how long my VT and FT rehab will take, and how much effort, and commitment is involved.  My rehab is one of, if not the, hardest things I've ever done.  My VT and FT move me forward, but sometimes I don't understand or realize how doing something will challenge me until I start moving towards it. 

I know that my future is - as is anyone's - somewhat unpredictable. I've said before, and I'll say again - I wish I had more answers.  Part of me thinks "well, make your own answers."  To an extent I can do that, by putting out effort and building - or rebuilding - my tool box of skills.  I don't know if this journey I'm on will have a distinct end or plateau, a point at which I'll say "OK, I'm good with where I am."  Where will I be in a year, or even six months?  All I really know is that I'm committed to working to improve.  Ann is good at being my cheerleader and pointing out when I do something I couldn't a few months ago, as is Joyce.  I actually realized on my own the other day that I did something I wouldn't have been able to do a few months ago.  Recognizing that was, to me, as valuable as the exercise itself. 

Given what I now know about vision, it seems appropriate to me that that word has (at least) two meanings - how we process info, and a picture of where we want to go. I haven't decided if I want to perform on my flute again, or if how I reach the public will now be through the written word.  I love to write, and I'm grateful that people are reading my words - and that VEDA helps me to reach people.  But I still wonder about the performance part;  I have very mixed feelings about performing.  I love playing with other people, but I DON'T love how most rehearsals are done.  But playing with other musicians in an unstructured setting - that's a different story.

Sometimes I think I need to simply stop thinking, and just live.  Stop thinking, get out of bed, and start moving through my day.  Find out from the internet - and Ron - what happened in the world around me.  Stop all of these questions floating around in my head, do what I need to do.  Do some writing, do some of the ordinary tasks that make up a person's day.  And for a few precious minutes, quiet my mind, and play my flute.  

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to December 2nd 2015 Reflecting on my rehab, my future, and my flute....

  1. Everything you said in your last paragraph you should do. Start living for you. Forget about what everyone else wants from you. Ask yourself, what do you want from you and strive for that. It may take some work, but you will eventually find happiness. I believe Ron and your children would help you with that.

    Johnnie Smith @ Ranch Creek Recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Johnnie for you comment... as of my post about finding energy and joy, I think I'm getting more present centered... :-)

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.