September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 24th 2015 Dealing with stress....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

Everyone's got stress in their lives, but realistically, some have more stress than others.  I think it's safe to say that dealing with invisible disorders guarantees some days when the stress level - whether it's fear, anxiety, whatever - gets a bit high.  There are situations that are stressful - because of how I am challenged, how demanding something feels to me -  that simply are not typically stressful to others.  So I've been thinking about ways to manage. Not manage my disorders, but how to manage my stress.

As we continue to move through the holiday season, I think about holiday celebrations.  I want to participate when I can in celebrating, but celebrations are challenging, and somewhat stressful for me.  I think this is true for anyone with various invisible disorders - vestibular, functional vision, and mental illness just to name a few.  It's easy to get over-stimulated and overwhelmed.  I've learned that I can't be shy about making a request in order to make something easier for myself.   Please don't question me if I do - just believe me that I am trying to get what I need in order to take care of myself so that I am able to enjoy myself.

If I need to take a break, I do it and don't make an issue out of it.  This may mean telling someone that I need five minutes before doing something.  I've learned that bathrooms are my friend - they are often the only quiet space.  For those who need to make these requests, remember that there's nothing wrong with advocating for yourself - you are not being selfish - you are taking care of yourself!

Holiday season, which means Winter Break for students like my daughters, means that routines are more difficult to maintain.  However, for various reasons, I need to maintain at least the basics of my routines.  I try to the extent that I can, to be flexible, but I can't disrupt all of my routines in any given day.  Following routines requires less cognitive processing, and if I don't have to THINK as much about something, I have more energy for other things.  The structure, routines of my day also help me feel grounded because I know what to expect, and this reduces anxiety.  Routines are also what keep me on task with my rehab.  This is important, because if my body/brain gets unfamiliar with my rehab, I don't think my response will be as good.

Another stress management skill I've been thinking about is the concept of compartmentalization (I'll call it comp for short).  Comp - to me - is about being really focused thinking about something that's a really big, ongoing stressor.  You make an appointment with yourself - let's say for 3 p.m. for 15 min. - to think about something you need to deal with that is causing you a lot of stress.  If making an actual appointment doesn't work, I think you can at least tell yourself when something comes into your head, "OK, I'm going to let myself think about this for 15 minutes, and then I'm stopping, no matter what." 

Getting too caught up in THINKING about what I need to do, instead of actually DOING what I need to do is something that for me can be a stressor.  Thinking about rehab is good up to a point; problem solving when something doesn't work can be productive.  But worrying a lot about my rate of progress, or stressing out about when or how to do something is not positive. 

If I do make an appointment with myself, I might have jotted down a word or phrase that came to mind at some point, and then during my allotted comp time, I use that note to help me think.  During my thinking time, I might do some writing, to help myself stay focused.  When my time's up, I'm done.  Whether I've completely solved the problem or not, I stop.  Staying focused, and stopping even if I haven't solved my problem completely will take some practice, but I'll pick it up again during whatever I decide is my next allotted time.  I may also decide that I need to talk to Ann (VT), Joyce (FT), or my husband. 

Thinking about setting a structured time to focus on a big stressor made me notice something; thoughts come into my head fairly frequently that are connected to something I'm stressed about.  So the first step for me in this whole comp thing was an awareness of my thought patterns.  I think when we have time on our hands, our mind looks for something to occupy itself, which can be good, but can also be bad if we use the time for worry.  So I need to say to myself "later," or "not now," and then find something else to think about - or do something.  Listening to music, or thinking about something good (like my pets) is often a good way for me to re-direct my thought process.

Finally, I recently listened to a video about meditation, which is really - to me - about mindfulness.  The basic idea in the video is that it's actually OK - even good - for your mind to jump around when you meditate, as long as you go back to the meditating part.  Every time you reign yourself back in, it's good for your brain.  I'm not sure, at this point, if when I do my breathing exercises I am meditating.  But I do know that when I sit and focus on my breathing, even when my thoughts wander, I eventually feel more calm - my sensory system does seem to settle down.  Which means I'm less tense, less stressed - and that's really what I'm aiming for.





Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

4 Responses to December 24th 2015 Dealing with stress....

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.