September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 30th 2015 One day at a time...

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

I'm don't make New Year's Resolutions.  I'm more into the idea of reflecting on what I'm actually doing, assessing and tweaking as necessary.  I've said recently that my rehab is clearly a very long term deal, meaning not months but years.   That means I have to take to heart the expression "one day, one step at a time," and focus on what I'm doing each day.  As long as I'm doing that - not getting too caught up in the "what ifs" of exactly how long this "long term deal" is gonna be - I'll be OK.

So, if it's really one day at a time, I asked myself "what do I actually DO each day?"

This is what I came up with:

Rehab exercises - a bit less on days I have either VT or FT, or I actually do something special, but I still do something

The only other self-care item I'll mention is that I rest every day in the early afternoon, and take breaks during the day as needed

Make sure I play my flute a little bit every day

I'm trying to make a point of writing something each day - it doesn't need to be a lot, and it doesn't have to be profound - I want to get my brain working in the writing department every day

Hopefully I have an audio book I'm listening to so I have something interesting/fun/entertaining/whatever to listen to each day

Listen to - and post on FB - music every day.... I typically actually listen to more than what I post

Hopefully find something interesting/fun/whatever to share/post on FB and connect with one of my FB friends - I need to limit my online time due to my disorders

Generally I have some housework to do, which might be laundry or cooking - it could be something else... I don't enjoy the housework (and there's some stuff I'm unable to do), but hey, it's gotta be done, and actually a good thing that I CAN do some of it

Talk with my husband, as well as my younger daughter... I get to talk to my older daughter when she's on break... otherwise, it's mostly a bit of FB chatting with my older one

Take a walk every day, typically with my husband, and occasionally with a daughter

There are some things I do that are not every day (i.e. attend monthly Youth Education Comm. meetings for our congregations' Sunday School), but I really needed to see the basic stuff I fill my life with every day.  Post my disorders, when I'm feeling down, I tend to feel like everyone else has a life, and I don't.  I can see from what I've come up with that though I could be doing better, I could definitely be doing worse.  And who knows, maybe I even forgot something.

Now to my readers with invisible disorders, I'd love to hear from you! If you're comfortable sharing publicly, go for it.  If you're not, you can pm me. How do you spend your time?  To those who post publicly, maybe someone will get some new ideas.  One basic rule - please keep this positive.  We all have our bad days, but as we move into the new year, I thought thinking about the good stuff I try to fill my life with NOW would help. 

Thanks!  And here's hoping everyone sees improvement in their health in whatever ways are needed... lastly, spread some kindness - it can go a long, long way.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to December 30th 2015 One day at a time...

  1. Happy New Year Tamar from Sydney on the 31st!

    THANKYOU so much for your kindness and hard work in sharing!

    I believe that people who blog that cannot relate, trash the message and repackage it for the wider world... The message gets lost.

    There are thus two sorts of media strands..
    ethically minded bloggers
    and media people with a print deadline who don't research their content.

    Hopefully when new ideas and new scientific research becomes available,
    In light of our freedom to communicate and exchange ideas...
    I hope that the media moguls have a New Years resolution for 2016....
    to print only ...well researched fact, to cite the professional source/ research paper/ research centre.
    Otherwise the larger component of the worlds professional media is in
    danger of continuing to comment and sensationalise ... WITHOUT THE TRUTH or the EDUCATORY aspect - former essential responsibilities well preserved by their forebears of the past.

    I look forward to reading your next post, whenever you are able or ready to do so.

    I know that I will love it.

    I send you kindness and harmony back to your corner of the globe.

    May inner peace, resilient life, prolific medical research and educational/ factually based information from the professionally published media .... be in all our futures for our 2016.

    I wish you all the best in your recovery and your journey ahead for your personal 2016,

    Yours,
    Suzy W


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy for your response! I hear you and agree re the truth in info - I think there will always be the "snake oil" salespeople but I also know there are folks out there (like Snopes.com) dedicated to debunking and spreading valuable info... thank you for your kind words and very best wishes to you in 2016!

      Delete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.