September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 24th 2015 Healing time....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate if needed.
Holidays fill me with mixed emotions.  I'm grateful for what I'm able to do, but I always miss out on things as well.  So as I approach the holiday season, thinking about the last month or so, I find myself thinking about finding my own peace.

I discovered a wonderful clip on YouTube of John Denver playing a song called Healing Time on Earth.  I don't think this song was ever recorded in a studio.  In the clip, he actually composes some of the song on the spot, and it's really lovely - he sings it like a loving lullaby.  There is beautiful imagery - as in all his songs - of nature, but I feel this song can be about any kind of healing.  A healing time is also inward, internal healing.  If someone's been through a trauma, they can't just move forward without giving themselves time first to heal on the inside, emotionally.  I recently listened to an article about this inner healing, and that it isn't a linear process, though I'm sure most of us wish it were!

When I got sick, I was scared and overwhelmed.  I had no idea what was going on, or what to expect, and I don't think I could really process the emotions of it all.  I've gotten feedback from people who have been sick far longer than I have, from people who just recently got sick, and those who are still trying to figure out what's wrong with them.  So experiences are all across the board.  We're all in different places with regard to our disorders, but I think we ALL need to have healing time. 

I feel like since I've been moving through my setback, I'm finally processing what happened to me.  I'm trying to be right here, now, looking around and saying "OK, this happened to me."  And sit with it a while.  Let my emotions come when they come, and not try to figure everything out about where I'm going. I want answers now, but I need to let this process, my processing, unfold.

In an effort to feel a bit more like I'm contributing in my not online life, I recently became a satellite member of my congregations' Membership Committee, acting as liaison to the Youth Education Committee of my congregations' Sunday School (a committee I've been on for years).  I told the Comm. Chair - a very nice, very dedicated woman - that I couldn't attend the meetings, but I could give ideas and talk to people.  That IS a contribution and she seemed thrilled.  I had the unsettling feeling or realization that I was going to come up with ideas for events in which I can't actually participate.

Thinking about what I can't do, I feel part of my healing, finding my peace, is in truly believing that having invisible disorders is not my fault.  No one ever talked to me about how to take care of my body as a musician.  I didn't realize I needed to advocate for myself for my MAV diagnosis, knowing what questions to ask, what info I needed - all while being sick!  I knew nothing about functional vision problems.  So here I am, realizing that I couldn't ask questions I didn't know to ask.  And realizing that being angry and sad about what happened to me makes a great deal of sense. 


So I need a healing time.  I suspect I'm not the only one living with these invisible disorders who feels this way.  Hopefully, once I've gotten through this very not linear process, I can look around to see what opportunities exist or open up for me.  I have a feeling that I will.  In the meantime, I say to myself, as I replied to an online comment the other day "...we're doing the best we can, and we need to be gentle with ourselves....".

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to November 24th 2015 Healing time....

  1. Thank you for sharing. This is how I feel too. I am struggling so much with this. My heart breaks every day. Each day is a learning process and some days drain the life out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Pat - I don't know what your issues are, but I'm glad my words were a bit helpful... hang in there!

      Delete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.