September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 4th 2015 Why I can relate to an astronaut on Mars....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

It never occurred to me that I'd relate to an astronaut on Mars, but I did.  A lot of people have heard of the movie The Martian, starring Matt Damon, and of course it's based on the book by the same name, written by Andy Weir.  I decided to listen to the book, which fortunately was available.  There were three things in The Martian that really struck me.

1) Community
2) Problem solving
3) Attitude

Mark Watney - the main character or the Martian - had already nearly died twice, about one and a half hours into the book.  So for me, this book is not about suspense, it's about the process.  I'll admit it took a while for me to get into the book - I wasn't sure about an hour and a half into the book, if I'd keep listening.  But I knew he'd eventually make contact with NASA, so I kept going.  The technical stuff gets a bit tedious at times, in my opinion, if you're not really into math and technical stuff, but it does give you a sense of the thought process of an astronaut. I liked the fact that the actual writing style is very straight forward.  I think it fits the subject matter. 

It's wonderful how everyone at NASA pulls together once they figure out that Watney is still alive.  Each person puts in a tremendous amount of time and effort, which is what I mean by community. I really came to care not just about Watney, but about everyone.

I mentioned the time and effort everyone puts in, which brings me to the problem solving.  Mark has to solve one problem after another.  Andy Weir uses the device of Mark's daily Mars (or saul) log to have him share his thoughts, ostensibly with whomever reads the notes once they find him, after he's died.  So we get a look inside someone's problem solving thought process, at least to a degree. 

Given my own lifestyle - particularly getting past my setback - of constantly figuring out how to do things, and what to do if I encounter a problem, I could really relate to this. Granted I'm not, fortunately, in a life or death situation, but the idea is still the same. For much of the book, Mark isn't relying on anyone besides himself, his own brain to survive, which is an interesting concept.  I'm thankful that, unlike Watney, I am not alone.  However, even with my medical team, I still have to figure things out as I move through each day.  It's not like I have Joyce, Ann or Dr. Margolis following me around each day.

Now about Watney's attitude.  Watney writes in his log about a few "temper tantrums," but mainly he's very focused on what he can, and needs, to DO.  His goal is to survive until he's rescued, so it's always about what he needs to do in order to survive, and how he's going to make that happen.  He breaks every problem down into small components, which reminds me of what I need to do sometimes with my VT or FT.  If I'm having a problem, I have to break it down, and say "OK, so what's giving me a problem here?". 


I've learned, and am still learning from my setback.  How specifically did I push my boundaries too much?  What tools do I need from Joyce and Ann in order to move forward more successfully?  Fortunately Joyce and Ann both listen to me well, and have ideas to help me as I work on getting back on track.  Watney has to expend a tremendous amount of effort, but in the end that's OK.  When he succeeds with something, especially if he encountered something unexpected, if he's still alive, it's a win.  I like that - that things don't always go according to plan, that you can't always - no matter how hard you try - predict reactions - but especially when you have to deal with unexpected hurdles, getting through something difficult is a success.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.