September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 11th 2015 Grieving is part of moving forward....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

I've been listening to a full John Denver concert I discovered on YouTube that goes back to 1995, two years before he died.   It's long, so I have to listen in bits, but it's a wonderful concert., mixed in with bits of an interview of his.  I'd forgotten what a talented musician he was -  singer, songwriter and performer.  It's really sad that he died young, and a bit strange that he was one year younger than I am now.

His music feels familiar, and brings me back to when I was in my 20's and listened to him a lot - I think I went to a concert of his once at the Chicago Theatre.  There's a line in one of the songs "...and the moon and the stars are the same ones I see, it's the same old sun up in the sky...".   Sitting listening to the music, I had an image of myself in my 20's, and then in 2011 before I got sick, looking at the same sun, moon and stars that I look at now, and my emotions welled up in me.

Rehab is all about making progress, but there needs to be room for mourning as well.  For grieving for the possibilities that were open to me in my 20's, and a few years ago, some of which right now are not.  Just like any other grieving process, I can't move forward if I don't let myself feel sad.   It hurts, it's painful how my life has changed.  There's a tremendous sadness and I need to let that BE.  I need to give it space and time and feel it in the present.  I don't know how else I can move on, and give room for whatever my life is now, with wherever I end up with my disorders.

So I let the tears flow, and let the feelings fill me up.  I really believe that that's how I'm able to move forward, by feeling this pain, sadness.  I'm not giving up on myself, and I know no one else is either, but these feelings are REAL and as much a part of the process of my rehab as anything else is. 

Some of how I've changed is good... I'm a better listener, there are things I understand that I didn't before, I think I have compassion and empathy - real empathy, rather than sympathy - now.  And I noticed that after I shed the tears, I actually felt peaceful.  I feel like owning the feelings, and then letting go of them, allows me to feel the possibility of moving forward with my rehab, wherever it takes me.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.