September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 7th 2018 Awareness, owning, channeling emotional energy...


My mom emailed me, telling me she'd read through my June blog posts, and asking me why all the self-blame re my illness... her words -

"... why do you blame yourself for getting sick, for crappy doctors who didn’t diagnose you?"

It's a good question, so I thought about it, and here's what I realized -

1) My health issues impact not just my life, but my husband Ron's, and my daughters' as well, which is sad, lousy, etc., but that STILL doesn't make it my fault. 


I would NEVER wish my health problems - vestibular migraine, and a vision disorder - on anyone, and sure as hell would never CHOOSE them for myself!  The very idea is preposterous.

It's valid for me to be angry - REALLY angry - that I didn't get diagnosed (and treated) fast enough... It's valid for me to be incredibly frustrated about my limitations, and really sad... I'll never know for sure how much better off I'd be if things had been different, but I'm pretty sure I've paid a high price.

I need to OWN all these feelings... but at some point I need to put all that emotional energy into healing, doing the best I can with what I have NOW... that's what ALL my therapists would want.


2) When I'm really tired, or trying something a little bit different or new, my Anxiety gets triggered - I'm more likely to go down my frustrated-which-turns-into-self-blaming, negative, anxious, "uh oh, am I gonna have a set-back?" etc. road... the uh-oh, set-back Anxiety/PTSD is never very far away... 

So I need to breathe, do the self calming sensory stuff that Joyce has taught me, think about everything I've accomplished - what I've actually done THAT DAY, and keep going... yes, keep going...


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.